olive tree bonsai

bunzI

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hey all!

So after spending a week in Florence, I've decided that I want to try growing an olive tree bonsai (olea). I've been looking at some websites etc., but I was wondering if any of the members here knew of a good place to get an affordable prebonsai.

Thanks!
bunzI

tnaz71

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would try Ebay, prices are reasonable. Just watch for outrageous shipping charges.

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Do you realize that this would not be able to stay outside at your place for the winter?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As Bill says, unless you have access to a cold greenhouse (frost-free) in the winter, you might want to think a bit more about this species. It is not Michigan winter-hardy and keeping it in the house during the winter probably isn't a sustainable plan...

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As Bill says, unless you have access to a cold greenhouse (frost-free) in the winter, you might want to think a bit more about this species. It is not Michigan winter-hardy and keeping it in the house during the winter probably isn't a sustainable plan...

Yes. Michigan is a terrible place for an olive. And growing them indoors is not good either, because they can't get enough light. Your tree will have a slow and steady decline, total waste of time.

bunzI

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
hey so yea I was doing some research as well and you're concerns are right. I do have access to an unheated greenhouse for winter storage though, so that was what I was planning to do during the colder months. I should've stated that in the beginning!

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hey so yea I was doing some research as well and you're concerns are right. I do have access to an unheated greenhouse for winter storage though, so that was what I was planning to do during the colder months. I should've stated that in the beginning!

That can take care of the cold season, but olives also need a long and hot summer, to grow. When it's too cool, they stop growing alltogether, and just languish for months. A couple of months of warm summer may not be enough.

bunzI

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
hm good point. i think i'll maybe try it in the green house for a period and outside for a period to try and give it what it needs. if it doesn't work it was worth a try. n e ways, I really just posted this thread to see if people knew some sources for olive bonsai. again, thanks!

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hm good point. i think i'll maybe try it in the green house for a period and outside for a period to try and give it what it needs. if it doesn't work it was worth a try. n e ways, I really just posted this thread to see if people knew some sources for olive bonsai. again, thanks!

Yes, you will need to keep it in the greenhouse longer than just the winter months. When spring comes, the greenhouse gets warmer than the air outside, so that may help.

AKNicolle

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sounds like an unheated garage in Illinois wouldn't cut it, either? I'm guessing not, since I lost a Pyracantha and two Chinese Elms in the garage over the years...

Barry

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I have 2 olives that I have kept in a greenhouse (which I keep heated to 34 degrees in the winter) for two years and they are doing well.

bunzI

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
yea I think i'll go through one of those two. thanks a lot speedy!

Top Bottom