Olive tree questions

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Hello, so I have this Olive tree I've been growing for a few years and I would like to do something with it but I don't want to kill it. I'm posting a pic in hopes that somebody will have some advice. I wasn't going for a huge trunk on this one.

Also I was wondering if this could handle a mid-michigan winter?

Attachments

• 20160730_101153.jpg
    20160730_101153.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 53

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They will survive the occasional light frost.

Mid Michigan? No way. You'll have to bring it indoors. Treat it like a tropical for the winter.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@JudyB has a good Olive program for up here.
It's documented somewhere.

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
...I'd like to see it fruit. It had olives when I bought it, but hasn't flowered since.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I bring mine in for winter. Nothing special, just in a south exposure window with a florescent shop light over it. Mine grows all winter, slower than summer outside, but still puts on plenty. Mine has not flowered either, but I do a lot of pruning.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
That's what I've been doing, except with led's. I haven't done much pruning at all though.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ok fun I love when I get to do something beseides look at them lol. Do you completely defoliate?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Ok thank you so much. And just FYI I took every leaf off a few years ago and it was fine, although it didn't seem to do anything besides slow the growth.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
My young olives had the first flowers this spring. They are kept in a light cold room over winter. I think they like having some dormancy period, but I can try to keep one in the warm room for comparison...
As the temps rose in the spring they pushed flower buds with the first new growth. But I removed them after flowering.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So I chopped it about in half.

Attachments

• 14699999645001877208472.jpg
    14699999645001877208472.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 32

Gilad

Yamadori
Reaction score
I bring mine in for winter. Nothing special, just in a south exposure window with a florescent shop light over it. Mine grows all winter, slower than summer outside, but still puts on plenty. Mine has not flowered either, but I do a lot of pruning.
When do you repot them, Jody? I bring mine in for the winter as well but it keeps growing. That why I'm not sure about repotting.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
When do you repot them, Jody? I bring mine in for the winter as well but it keeps growing. That why I'm not sure about repotting.
Same as pruning, you want to do it in hot weather during active growth periods.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I repotted mine in early June.

I wouldn't defoliate. Let it grow out, remove the leaves that grow on the bottom of the branches. Cut back and wire. And bend, of course.

Do it early summer, and by mid summer it will be time to remove that wire, remove old leaves, remove bottom leaves, cut back and rewire!

Repot when it's actively growing. These things grow like weeds in the proper soil. Almost as fast as tridents!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
As an example:

June 3, before work: (note: I had pulled off the bottom leaves on the stems when I remembered I should take a "before" picture!)

image.jpeg

After: June 4:

image.jpeg

And here it is July 18:

image.jpeg

Grows like a weed!

Top Bottom