Olive tree

Pads

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
From the leaf size this is abviously a cultivar. If you chop below the grafting mark you can get smaller leaves (wild olive).

(My mistake, I just saw that you have already choped the tree)

Reaction score
Not sure it's a cultivar or a totally different (sub)species.

As far as I was able to dig there are two 'forms':
Olea europaea (mine)
Olea europaea sylvestris (the wild one with the smaller leaves)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am kind of disappointed that I only got branches on one side on both of these. I find the second olive better but I am struggling to see any tree in these. Any ideas, styling-wise?

Olive #1
View attachment 150097 View attachment 150098 View attachment 150099

Olive#2
View attachment 150100 View attachment 150101
It will take a lot of time, but you could make the whole tree out of the branches you got and then go all Harry Harrington with the stump?

Reaction score
It will take a lot of time, but you could make the whole tree out of the branches you got and then go all Harry Harrington with the stump?

Basically you're suggesting that I let the tree grow freely so these branches thicken until they can be used as part of the future trunk. Is that it?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'm saying that those new branches will become the trunk, yes. Then carve out the stump. Harry Harrington does some nice things with carving and has some olive examples on his site.

Reaction score
ok thanks for the suggestion... that will definitely take a looooonnnggg time. Good thing I'm still young :)

Is there a way to promote the tree to put some new branches in other areas? Cutting current ones back should do this no? could I thread (or approach) layer an olive? I suppose I can...

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I suppose approach grafting would work, that trunk is pretty thick for thread grafting, but that would work too if you had a whip you could get thru. But the first one, has a branch in a nice place to continue the trunk line if you are making a traditional style trunk line.

Pads

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Not sure it's a cultivar or a totally different (sub)species.

As far as I was able to dig there are two 'forms':
Olea europaea (mine)
Olea europaea sylvestris (the wild one with the smaller leaves)

I think you are right. But you can still reduce leaf size when the time comes. I wouldn't worry so much about branches at this point. Just let the root system get strong. When you prune hard the existing branches you will get new buds all over the place.

sp1tf1re

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
While I am new and just researching where I am at. My advice is to let it grow at this point and see where the new branches take you. I love how well it has grown back. I look forward to future updates.

It's Kev

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice thread, just got myself an olive tree a week ago, but I think it’s too late in the season to chop it down

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is one I have been working on for some 3 seasons now.
:eek::oops:o_O
My neighbour forgot to water my trees in the greenhouse during a 3 month absense on my side.. This tree is no longer with me, as I do not like the leaves without any green

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The one I showed is South African in origin - seed

Does not like to be pruned for design, just a light pruning once in
a while. or it will kill branches.

Brother-in-law's memories of Florence.
Just repotted and back in the sun as of yesterday.
32 years old.
I would say not too bad for the Tropics :)
Good Day
Anthony

Top Bottom