Olive tree

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Today it was a hot day as usually in my country , and decided to change the soil for the olive coz it was really bad . I mixed 50/50 purlite / turface and 25% compost ... What do you think ?

Looks much better.
When I see trees bought in that bad, solid kind of soil, devoid of air and space for water, it makes me kinda feel like I'm holding my breath slightly..
To see it in that new, open, well draining substrate, makes you as a person almost feel more breathable and free...

(I swear I've not started drinking yet this weekend)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think that next time you repot this tree, try to get a shallower but wider pot to put it in. Looks like the roots were plentiful and healthy, so you should continue to get good growth this year.

Melvinello

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments , the olive is doing well .. Yes next time i repot i pot it in a shallower and wider pot ..

What is the ideal season so i can trim safely some branches and leaves from my olive??

Do they defoliate olive trees , like most of the trees ?.

Thanks

Ryan H

Mame
Reaction score
I would wait a bit till the stress of reporting has passed but I trim and train my olives all year round with out much issue. I do not defoliate but have heard of some who partially defoliate once every 3 ish years... I do not see the need to with olives though

Pads

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Your climate is similar to my area so I would suggest you avoid major trimming until November. If you cut major branches now you will get strong back budding which you will have to keep under control. Pinching at this time is fine.

Melvinello

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for the replay too @Pads .. So you are saying that in November when the heat is not that much .. Does this affects the healing of the cut ? Will it heal normaly ?

Pads

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks for the replay too @Pads .. So you are saying that in November when the heat is not that much .. Does this affects the healing of the cut ? Will it heal normaly ?

Fall and winter are the best times to prune since fungal infections are less likely (spring/summer is much riskier). If you use the proper tools and sterilize them before use, the cut will heal.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice to see this tree in better soil. Has is been showing signs of growth now again?

If you use the proper tools and sterilize them before use, the cut will heal.
Do you mean that olives succesfully close the bark over cuts?

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Summer is a great time to prune olives. Many people will tell you never to prune olive when it's not actively growing. I think that strong backbudding is a good thing, not something to avoid.

Pads

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Nice to see this tree in better soil. Has is been showing signs of growth now again?

Do you mean that olives succesfully close the bark over cuts?

I meant no danger to the tree. The cut mark will remain.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I realize it has only been a week. I have however also seen olives jump after a repot :) But yeah, a week is not just jumping. True.

Melvinello

Seedling
Reaction score
Update - My olive still healthy after the repot and pruning .. The target for next year is to repot in a shallower and wider pot .. Thanks for your help guys ..

Attachments

• IMG_20170827_185256.jpg
    IMG_20170827_185256.jpg
    270.5 KB · Views: 12
Top Bottom