olive trees australia wa

aussiedaz

Seedling
Reaction score
hey chaps, what do you people think about repotting olives here in WA and root pruning?

Attachments

• 46409215-296A-43B7-B014-4053FCB22045.jpeg
    46409215-296A-43B7-B014-4053FCB22045.jpeg
    130.2 KB · Views: 28

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would think that western australia repotting window for olives is rapidly closing. Maybe wait till next season?
What sort of temps are you getting in winter?

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
You could probably repot an Olive all year round but definitely think it is better off to do in the warmer weather when it's actively growing. I reckon you'd be fine now through to Autumn.

Does it actually need a repot though, looks a tad overpotted.

aussiedaz

Seedling
Reaction score
I would think that western australia repotting window for olives is rapidly closing. Maybe wait till next season?
What sort of temps are you getting in winter?
it varies mate ,, 20 degrees to 25 degrees but cold at night

aussiedaz

Seedling
Reaction score
You could probably repot an Olive all year round but definitely think it is better off to do in the warmer weather when it's actively growing. I reckon you'd be fine now through to Autumn.

Does it actually need a repot though, looks a tad overpotted.
i was going to swap pots with another olive i have , i think it will look better , but that's my opinion others may think differently

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Over this side it gets a bit colder so your window will be broader than ours.
I generally do repotting for olives whenever I can find the time in late spring or early summer but we have collected olives in March in this area. All those survived though many were slow to get growing through winter. Collecting obviously means removing a lot more roots so i suspect that you could repot successfully over there any time of year if you find it necessary. A lot will depend on how much root needs to be removed.
My olives don't have really strong roots so they can go quite a while before root pruning is necessary.

aussiedaz

Seedling
Reaction score
Over this side it gets a bit colder so your window will be broader than ours.
I generally do repotting for olives whenever I can find the time in late spring or early summer but we have collected olives in March in this area. All those survived though many were slow to get growing through winter. Collecting obviously means removing a lot more roots so i suspect that you could repot successfully over there any time of year if you find it necessary. A lot will depend on how much root needs to be removed.
My olives don't have really strong roots so they can go quite a while before root pruning is necessary.
think i will just do it , it's still warm and i won't be root pruning just swapping pots that's all

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
You can just swap pots any time with any tree. As long as you do minimal root pruning there is no stress on the tree.
Repotting, as we understand it in bonsai, involves at least some root pruning and is a whole other procedure.

aussiedaz

Seedling
Reaction score
You can just swap pots any time with any tree. As long as you do minimal root pruning there is no stress on the tree.
Repotting, as we understand it in bonsai, involves at least some root pruning and is a whole other procedure.
yes mate i'm aware of that ,, i'm just being careful,, all done now and looking good

Top Bottom