Olive trees in Zone 7-8(uk)

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just a reminder about wintering for Olives. I had to reread this article to remind myself, so thought I’d remind others. If you haven’t read this, I highly recommend it. This morning it’s 1c (coldest for my area in Essex, this year).

This article is written by Graham Potter at Kaizen Bonsai UK. Written from UK point of view.

“Olives & The Cold - The elephant in the room as far as olives and the UK are concerned always seems to be the issue of frost hardiness. As already stated, cold is not our worst enemy. The big problem is the combination of cold AND wet. The effects of which can be just too much for these great trees to handle. As they say 'the secret is in the soil'. Heavy wet cold soil will be the undoing of this species. Travelling across Spain, Italy and as far afield as Cyprus I have seen olives grown in a fibrous medium of peat, perlite, multi-purpose compost and the like. In these areas with scorching summer temperatures this is important. Roots in a pot above ground are subject to much higher temperatures than those planted in the ground. Olives in these areas often need to be watered several times a day to prevent excess drying out and a wet root system will be much cooler than a dry one which largely explains the success of what we in Blighty might consider a very poor quality bonsai soil. In the UK we do not see 'scorching' temperatures but we do see long, cold and miserable dark wet winters and a fibrous soil mix seems to have an ability to transfer cold into a plant with 'chilling' efficiency. Therefore in the UK we need to have an open, very free draining growing medium, summer watering is not really an issue due to an olives drought resistance. But, that free draining mix will help preserve the trees roots over winter. The drier the soil the better the cold resistance. Think of it like this....in the depths of a cold winter lay a big bath towel outside overnight on the concrete and soak it in water. In the morning lay a dry towel on the ground next to the wet one. Next stand on the wet towel in bare feet for a while before moving over to the dry one, both will be cold but which is worse? It's quite reasonable to expect an olive in dry soil to withstand overnight temperatures of minus 10-14 Celsius however an olive in wet soil will suffer badly at just minus 2 Celsius. Obviously, where sustained lows are expected pop an olive in an open, unheated greenhouse or stand it underneath the bench to afford overhead cover but do avoid dark sheds or closed areas such as garages or cloches, olives need GOOD ventilation all the time. Keeping an olive dry in winter not only helps in relation to protecting it against cold but it will also preserve that valuable craggy bark and also any significant deadwood. Trees that are overwintered in the dry will grow much more strongly in summer as the roots will emerge in the spring in significantly better condition. In summary be more concerned about the wet and less about the cold, particularly if your olive is planted in less than ideal soil.”

That’s just 1 section of the article.

I’ll be ensuring my olive sits on a box under my bench to avoid the worst of rain, so to avoid the talked about “freezing temp + wet” and be taking advantage of the drought resistance and keep my watering to min. In height of winter I’ll put it in the shed for a while but bringing out for few days to get a breather.

aussiedaz

Seedling
Reaction score
o
Just a reminder about wintering for Olives. I had to reread this article to remind myself, so thought I’d remind others. If you haven’t read this, I highly recommend it. This morning it’s 1c (coldest for my area in Essex, this year).

This article is written by Graham Potter at Kaizen Bonsai UK. Written from UK point of view.

“Olives & The Cold - The elephant in the room as far as olives and the UK are concerned always seems to be the issue of frost hardiness. As already stated, cold is not our worst enemy. The big problem is the combination of cold AND wet. The effects of which can be just too much for these great trees to handle. As they say 'the secret is in the soil'. Heavy wet cold soil will be the undoing of this species. Travelling across Spain, Italy and as far afield as Cyprus I have seen olives grown in a fibrous medium of peat, perlite, multi-purpose compost and the like. In these areas with scorching summer temperatures this is important. Roots in a pot above ground are subject to much higher temperatures than those planted in the ground. Olives in these areas often need to be watered several times a day to prevent excess drying out and a wet root system will be much cooler than a dry one which largely explains the success of what we in Blighty might consider a very poor quality bonsai soil. In the UK we do not see 'scorching' temperatures but we do see long, cold and miserable dark wet winters and a fibrous soil mix seems to have an ability to transfer cold into a plant with 'chilling' efficiency. Therefore in the UK we need to have an open, very free draining growing medium, summer watering is not really an issue due to an olives drought resistance. But, that free draining mix will help preserve the trees roots over winter. The drier the soil the better the cold resistance. Think of it like this....in the depths of a cold winter lay a big bath towel outside overnight on the concrete and soak it in water. In the morning lay a dry towel on the ground next to the wet one. Next stand on the wet towel in bare feet for a while before moving over to the dry one, both will be cold but which is worse? It's quite reasonable to expect an olive in dry soil to withstand overnight temperatures of minus 10-14 Celsius however an olive in wet soil will suffer badly at just minus 2 Celsius. Obviously, where sustained lows are expected pop an olive in an open, unheated greenhouse or stand it underneath the bench to afford overhead cover but do avoid dark sheds or closed areas such as garages or cloches, olives need GOOD ventilation all the time. Keeping an olive dry in winter not only helps in relation to protecting it against cold but it will also preserve that valuable craggy bark and also any significant deadwood. Trees that are overwintered in the dry will grow much more strongly in summer as the roots will emerge in the spring in significantly better condition. In summary be more concerned about the wet and less about the cold, particularly if your olive is planted in less than ideal soil.”

That’s just 1 section of the article.

I’ll be ensuring my olive sits on a box under my bench to avoid the worst of rain, so to avoid the talked about “freezing temp + wet” and be taking advantage of the drought resistance and keep my watering to min. In height of winter I’ll put it in the shed for a while but bringing out for few days to get a breather.
or move to Australia like i did from newcastle uk ,, my olives love it here ,,, good read

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I know. Used to live in Melbourne. Climate-wise, better there.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
o

or move to Australia like i did from newcastle uk ,, my olives love it here ,,, good read

Id actually love to live in Australia lol. Maybe one day. Yeah I bet the olives like it better!

did you actually move trees from UK to Aus? How’d they react to the extreme change in climate? I’ve always wondered.

aussiedaz

Seedling
Reaction score
Id actually love to live in Australia lol. Maybe one day. Yeah I bet the olives like it better!

did you actually move trees from UK to Aus? How’d they react to the extreme change in climate? I’ve always wondered.
no mate all my trees are from here , i got about 40 from olives to elms , to melaleucas to bottle brushes ( native trees ) to ficus the list goes on

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ah ok cool. Would have been curious to know if you transported them lol

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
It's not possible to import trees to Australia really, there may be ways but it's out of reach for most.
I'm resigned to losing all my trees when we eventually go back there, dog will be in quarantine for a while and even my pots will have to be disinfected and documented.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
It's not possible to import trees to Australia really, there may be ways but it's out of reach for most.
I'm resigned to losing all my trees when we eventually go back there, dog will be in quarantine for a while and even my pots will have to be disinfected and documented.

Damn I wouldn’t know how I could deal with that.. I’m very attached my trees and I’ve only had some for just under 4 years. I care way too much, it’s exhausting to overly worry.

aussiedaz

Seedling
Reaction score
ve
very hard to bring trees in , can't even get bonsai from over east into WA so from the UK would be hard to

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Damn I wouldn’t know how I could deal with that.. I’m very attached my trees and I’ve only had some for just under 4 years. I care way too much, it’s exhausting to overly worry.

I guess it is something I have always known will happen if we go back so that makes it slightly easier plus there is not a great deal I can do about it so I'm just enjoying what I have now which isn't much. I look at now as practice for the future. That and Australia has many species I really want to pursue that I can likely get in a more advanced stage rather than growing from seed or young nursery stock here so that is something to look forward too.

ve

very hard to bring trees in , can't even get bonsai from over east into WA so from the UK would be hard to

Yeah WA is even more strict, makes me wonder how they are going to sort out the World Bonsai Convention in 2021.
Will it be just WA trees or will they get special permission?

aussiedaz

Seedling
Reaction score
t
I guess it is something I have always known will happen if we go back so that makes it slightly easier plus there is not a great deal I can do about it so I'm just enjoying what I have now which isn't much. I look at now as practice for the future. That and Australia has many species I really want to pursue that I can likely get in a more advanced stage rather than growing from seed or young nursery stock here so that is something to look forward too.

Yeah WA is even more strict, makes me wonder how they are going to sort out the World Bonsai Convention in 2021.
Will it be just WA trees or will they get special permission?
there able to bring trees from over east so i here

Top Bottom