OMG! My bonsai are all going to die! Droplets & sun, certain leaf burn!

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
But of course this is a bonsai myth.
Where I live it rains almost every afternoon in the summer, many times while the sun is also shining.
I am 66, and I have never seen burnt leaves from the sun on rain drops, not even ferns. That is one of the reasons why I don't mind watering my bonsai when they need it, even at noon.
Right now it's raining a lot, and the sun is shining, as the picture below is showing.
I am quite sure my trees love it!

20201201_150354_copy_997x1023.jpg

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
On my hydrangea groups they often tell people this.
There are fungal problems that can occur from overhead watering- I believe- but leaf burn from water spots is not a thing. My ficus don’t mind hot sun on wet leaves at all.

jradics

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
On my hydrangea groups they often tell people this.
There are fungal problems that can occur from overhead watering- I believe- but leaf burn from water spots is not a thing. My ficus don’t mind hot sun on wet leaves at all.
IT NEVER RAINS IN THE AFTERNOON ON WILD FICUS TREES IN THE TROPICS

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I wonder how plants ever managed to survive without humans around the protect them from mother nature?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I wonder how plants ever managed to survive without humans around the protect them from mother nature?
They live except for those that have been chopped, wired, bent, placed in shallow pots with hardly any soil, and tortured within a quarter inch of their lives.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The short answer is sometimes (and that is A LOT) plants don't survive in nature. They die from all kinds of "natural" shit, from flooding, drought, lightning, fungus, beetles/aphids/borers/nameyourinsect, to too much sun (extremely high UV in alpine environments kills trees, which is why there's a tree line) and four legged animals eating them, the list is VERY VERY long.

Top Bottom