OMG this weather......😣

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This time of year, I watch weather like a hawk.

So it was 70 degrees 3 days ago in November for God's sake!
It was 60 two days ago

Temperatures were cooler yesterday and today, where it should be.

As of yesterday, the next 5 days had predicted lows in the mid 30s to 40.

"Great", I thought "maybe we will actually get a frost finally".

Got home at 5pm tonight, husband told me that lows tonight are supposed to be in the 20s......

"Are you kidding me right now?!"
Everything still out on the benches and no way I am moving them all tonight. Just can't do it.

Brought the azalea and chojubai into the garage and the rest will have to either survive.....or not.

The way the weather has been the last couple of years like this really makes me want to quit. Neve4 used to have falls like this. I hate this crap.

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

It was 60 two days ago

Got home at 5pm tonight, husband told me that lows tonight are supposed to be in the 20s......

Everything still out on the benches and no way I am moving them all tonight. Just can't do it.

Brought the azalea and chojubai into the garage and the rest will have to either survive.....or not.

The way the weather has been the last couple of years like this really makes me want to quit. Neve4 used to have falls like this. I hate this crap.

I'm with you. Same deal up here. I took the kids to the beach on Saturday (72 degrees). Low 20's tonight...

I'm lucky though and wasn't too busy at work, so I took a few hours off to at least get everything aside from the junipers on the ground.

Half my stuff still haven't dropped their leaves.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I feel you. We are gonna have to get used to it. It seems we still have some (not a lot) time to mitigate the worst of climate change, but the thing is already irreversible. We can always make it worse of course. And I am afraid we will 😞

jandslegate

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm right there with you. Tomorrow is my first day off since we had the cold here and I am gonna have to scramble to get everything else situated in the garage. Its dark by 5 here now so even the time once I'm off for the day has been limited. It also occured to me that all the things I planned on digging up or other fall work have basically gone out the window. We don't really have fall here. Just a short interlude into nasty cold weather. It's rarely even 'picturesque' winter. Keep your head up. We'll all get through it.

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5

It was 60 two days ago

Literally just did the same thing. All the azaleas in the garage as well as a rather tender JBP and cherry. 76° before the weekend and now I’m seeing 20’s til Friday and then teens after that for the foreseeable future. Winter finally caught up, I just wish it wasn’t all at once.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Literally just did the same thing. All the azaleas in the garage as well as a rather tender JBP and cherry. 76° before the weekend and now I’m seeing 20’s til Friday and then teens after that for the foreseeable future. Winter finally caught up, I just wish it wasn’t all at once.

Yea what ever happened to getting 4 or 5 frosts then a freeze? This 60s and 70s on day and freezing 3 days later is ridiculous

yashu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4/5
Yea what ever happened to getting 4 or 5 frosts then a freeze? This 60s and 70s on day and freezing 3 days later is ridiculous
Oh I had the frosts up here, a good couple weeks of them… and THEN the week of bouncing around the 60’s and 70’s.

I suspect my trees are as confused as I am🫤

Kodama

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5B
Same here... thought I had more time before the shuffle. Climate change is here and I'm paying attention.

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
20's at night so far in my area. Lows in the teens by the end of this week.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
It was 77 degrees here last Thursday. Friday I moved my azaleas into the garage because we were going out of town for a funeral and predicted lows for Saturday were in the 20's. When we got home Saturday there was snow. A few towns over they had 5-7 inches of the white stuff.

eugenev2

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b

It was 60 two days ago

Yea, the weather down here is pretty stuffed as well. We normally have a relatively dry climate and get about 705 mm (about 27 inches) of rain a annually, last year it was 1200mm (about 47 inches)
This year's rain is probably going to smash that as it has been raining almost none stop for the last two weeks.
Read a article once where they predicted that Johannesburg will become a port before the turn of the century...ya...might be sooner at this rate

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This early cold in November has happened before in the last few years--. Deep freeze until Dec. then a spit warm winter.

That's the long-range forecast again this year from the local weather folks. They're talking record warm winter in Dec. and Jan. with very little snow chances.

I scrambled to get all my trees under cover on Sunday, all except for my biggest tree which I will have to bring in this weekend as we get low 20's for nighttime lows.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You're going to be warmer than us... down in Charlotte!

Two years ago I moved my tropicals indoors on December 10. This year, I had to pull them in for a week in mid October (though they went back outside for a couple of weeks afterwards). Today we are forecast to be 7 degrees colder than our average high temp in January! :(

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here in the Shenandoah Valley Virginia we are expecting high teens and lower twenties for several nights over the next few weeks.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
We had several good frosts early on, then weeks of warm almost summer like temps. Now the boom is coming down. Fortunately, with the earlier frosts, my trees had dropped ( or I stripped) leaves, so I could put them away without dealing with the mess like sometimes happens. It certainly isn't as predictable as it used to be. I always err on the side of putting them away early now to be safe.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here in Central Texas it was the opposite, usually we get a cold spell in the 40's before Halloween. This year it was near 80's. The cold came in 2 weeks later, down to 30's at night, then Sunday and Monday were nice in the 50-70 and today back to 30 in the morning with strong winds. Sitting at 44 right now at 10am, with 30-50 for the rest of the week going up to 40-60's next week.

On the plus side, hopefully I will see some fall colors on my trees other than the bald cypress. The yoshino, chojubai, and Chinese elm started to get some yellow leaves and the ginko is getting to the chartreuse hue, maybe will yellow soon. Last year I saw none, we got snow in February and all the leaves fell.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Luckily, I was bored and took some trips to stock up on mulch. Got everything mulched in.

Paradox, you are in my neck of the woods. How do you typically overwinter your deciduous trees?

Top Bottom