Omiya Bonsai Museum, the nurseries, and Toyonishiki

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'll be looking forward to the Korean Hornbeam photos. Also I'd like to understand better the concept you're calling saika bonsai. I'll have to go google that one, sounds interesting.
Thanks for posting your experiences!
There's a post on Bonsai Empire that talks about the different gardens including Seiko-en. I think saika bonsai is described well there, but pictures make it more clear. The article needs some updating, but the important stuff is there. None of the nurseries at Omiya village charge entrance fee now. I'm thinking of riding back to the village tomorrow.

I'll try to capture some more Korean Hornbeam at Touju-en. Pictures allowed there. Much easier to upload from phone than camera as I don't have a computer.

Outside of Omiya, I visited Shunka-en near Koiwa station, Tokyo. Small entrance fee. No pics this time as I went there late and dark. Got to meet Mr Kobayashi again. It's when I don't expect to see him that he just walks through the door of the room where he has guests.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Went back today to the village in bike this morning. It was a 30th minute ride for me. When I got to Omiya bonsai village just for rest, I was hot and had to remove a hoodie and long sleeve. I didn' want to pay for admission again so I only took some shots from inside and at a camelia displayed inside.
20171201_111520.jpg
20171201_111418.jpg
20171201_111549.jpg

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Next I headed over to Seiko-en. I have an attraction to this nursery. I so wished that I could photograph inside, but below is all that could be done. Lots of nice colorful bonsai. It's got that Japanese woman's touch. Again, they have saika bonsai, but also lots of amazing traditional bonsai too. Today, I met the same lady who sold me two pots Wednesday. She remembered that I had returned. I told her it's' my third time back, and that I had ridden bicycle from nearby town. She treated me to the Staff Only section. I wished you could see the bonsai I saw. Such beautiful bonsai! Such refinement and color.
20171201_112457.jpg
20171201_113147.jpg

Next up, Touju-en for @JudyB. No one speaking English today, but no problem.
20171201_114525.jpg

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I like Toju-en. Pretty cool. Getting my fill of alcohol ( yebisu and chu-hi) while I post, so forgive me if I stop posting. Man I love Doritos here. Flavor is lighter and I don' end up with a bunch of seasoning after I finish the bag!
20171201_115441.jpg
20171201_115453.jpg

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Till when are you here?
I’m now in Hokaido but normally going back home tomorrow . And I was thinking of going to Omiya on Friday, Saturday
If you are still here we can meet once
Gomendasai! I missed you!

Top Bottom