On the hunt for pinus parviflora in Europe

Dermot

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi all.

I'm on the hunt for some pinus parviflora seeds in Europe. Does anyone know where I could look?
Alternatively, seedlings on their own roots would be even better.
Thanks.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score

Dermot

Yamadori
Reaction score
Super. Thanks for that. I've just ordered a few packets 👍

Dermot

Yamadori
Reaction score
Seeds landed earlier this week.
They've gone straight into the fridge to chill out until the middle of November. I've never propogated white pine seeds before. 🤞

Attachments

• IMG_20220913_134907.jpg
    IMG_20220913_134907.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 10

Dermot

Yamadori
Reaction score
When you say "middle of november" is that your timing to start cold stratifying them?
Yes exactly. Mid November I will let them come up to room temperature for a day then pop them in warm water for 24hrs. Then into a damp mix in the fridge for 3-4 months.

Not sure this is the best way to germinate. There's a lot of different methods online.

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hey Dermot, I'm glad to see you found some seeds. A couple of years ago, I tried with about 100 seeds. I got 2 seedlings. At the same time I had more normal success with a bunch of other pines.
A lot of the seeds had rotted, I don't know if it was during stratification, or more likely when they were planted out. So I would say, think carefully about what media you use and your watering regime. Best of luck!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes exactly. Mid November I will let them come up to room temperature for a day then pop them in warm water for 24hrs. Then into a damp mix in the fridge for 3-4 months.

Not sure this is the best way to germinate. There's a lot of different methods online.
Why not put outside where will be growing to germinate🤔? Protected from birds, etc of course. Personally believe germinating in dark fridge w/o fresh air circulation is bad idea🤨.

Last edited:

Dermot

Yamadori
Reaction score
Why not put outside where will be growing to germinate🤔? Protected from birds, etc of course. Personally believe germinating in dark fridge w/o fresh air circulation is bad idea🤨.
In Ireland the weather is quite unpredictable. It can cycle between relatively warm spells and hard frosts through winter and spring. Obviously it's harder control moisture levels as well.
I've been germinating black pine seed's for a couple of years now. With fresh viable seed collected locally, I've had very high germination rates. I've also purchased seed's online with low germination while receiving the same treatment. If the seeds are viable they should be fine in the fridge.... Hopefully!

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In Ireland the weather is quite unpredictable. It can cycle between relatively warm spells and hard frosts through winter and spring. Obviously it's harder control moisture levels as well.
I've been germinating black pine seed's for a couple of years now. With fresh viable seed collected locally, I've had very high germination rates. I've also purchased seed's online with low germination while receiving the same treatment. If the seeds are viable they should be fine in the fridge.... Hopefully!
Concern is with dampoff. White pine need drier air conditions for good health🧐.

JeffS73

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
You could try some oitdoors in a pot of sifted perlite, under cover so they don't get rained on too much.

Have you ever seen P.Parviflora in botanical/country gardens in Ireland? Now would be a good time to collect seeds.

Dermot

Yamadori
Reaction score
You could try some oitdoors in a pot of sifted perlite, under cover so they don't get rained on too much.

Have you ever seen P.Parviflora in botanical/country gardens in Ireland? Now would be a good time to collect seeds.
No. I've been looking locally but can't find any. I have a small negishi white pine in the garden with a few cones forming this year. They were under constant attack from sawfly larvae (I think).

Top Bottom