On the hunt for young virginia pine to develop

naleshin

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I would love to start developing Virginia pine alongside my scots, JBP, and loblolly. Anyone have any reputable sources/recommendations? I'm going to try to go scouting local parks/roadsides, but ironically since I moved here to Richmond last year, I haven't come across many Virginia pine yet. Loblolly's so prolific!

Also, the only example of Virginia pine I know of is Bjorn's here in this video:
Anyone else know of any noteworthy examples or works in progress regarding this species of pine?

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Same, for every 1000 pines you see here one might be a Virginia pine... some of the local nurseries have sold Va pine before though.

There's a trail near the river that has a natural stand of some almost bonsai'esq Va pines; I need to dig up the pics...

naleshin

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Same, for every 1000 pines you see here one might be a Virginia pine... some of the local nurseries have sold Va pine before though.

There's a trail near the river that has a natural stand of some almost bonsai'esq Va pines; I need to dig up the pics...
Interesting! Any idea where the trail is along the James? Or where we might have some cone-bearing mature Virginia pine around?

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
It's at Larus Park on the Southside near Pony Pasture, the entrance is at Sneed's Nursery on Huguenot Road. Can't go digging any up but I'm sure there's cones to be found all over the place.

When I worked at the Great big greenhouse, we had some for sale in 3 gallon pots, but they weren't very common. I'm now working at Sneed's but haven't seen any come in yet.

Now I have to find those pics.

naleshin

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
It's at Larus Park on the Southside near Pony Pasture, the entrance is at Sneed's Nursery on Huguenot Road. Can't go digging any up but I'm sure there's cones to be found all over the place.

When I worked at the Great big greenhouse, we had some for sale in 3 gallon pots, but they weren't very common. I'm now working at Sneed's but haven't seen any come in yet.

Oh nice! I've only been to Larus Park once, it's definitely on my list to revisit

I love GBGH, I oughta go check every now and then for them or call and see if they know when they could be in. And that's awesome! I just met a fellow enthusiast at Sneed's the other day to give away a few trees I have but I haven't properly scoped out what Sneed's has to offer yet

Since you're pretty close, if you ever need someone to water your trees while you're away then just lemme know!

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Kind of underwhelming in the pictures but looked more interesting in person

IMG_20200328_143411076.jpg
IMG_20200328_143319396.jpg
IMG_20200328_143301595.jpg

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hahahaha I'm pretty sure you were talking to me the other morning... I was the guy at your truck checking out your trees with the store supervisor!

naleshin

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hahahaha I'm pretty sure you were talking to me the other morning... I was the guy at your truck checking out your trees with the store supervisor!
Hahah I don't have a truck so must not've been me! :)

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hmm, well it may still have been me you spoke with, I'm the only true bonsai nut there! ;)

Though, it must not of been me because I couldn't EVER pass up free trees!

naleshin

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Hmm, well it may still have been me you spoke with, I'm the only true bonsai nut there! ;)

I'm still trying to find a home for some fukien tea rooted cuttings if you're interested. Got a gingko & an eastern red cedar / juniperus virginiana that're spoken for, but schedules haven't lined up for me to meet the people who called them. I'll keep you in mind if they end up not going through!

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

Sounds like I need to come into Sneeds!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Off topic but glad to see you back. You haven't been here for awhile.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would love to start developing Virginia pine alongside my scots, JBP, and loblolly. Anyone have any reputable sources/recommendations? I'm going to try to go scouting local parks/roadsides, but ironically since I moved here to Richmond last year, I haven't come across many Virginia pine yet. Loblolly's so prolific!

Also, the only example of Virginia pine I know of is Bjorn's here in this video:
Anyone else know of any noteworthy examples or works in progress regarding this species of pine?
Up here in No. Va., Virginia pine is the primary pine species. I have to actively look for Loblolly.

I wouldn't get all excited about Va. pine as bonsai--unless you can find a tree like Bjorn is working--i.e. already containerized with some decent character. They are not common bonsai because, here at least, they are extremely difficult to collect.

They grow in areas with bad soil. Look for them in "disturbed areas, like old construction sites. etc. The area in the pic is near a path road that looks to have been cleared... They tend to have extremely long running roots--I've seen some that have feeder roots 15-20 feet away from the trunk. Also, when you lift them to get them out, they almost always automatically bareroot themselves. Good bonsai candidates almost always have branching at their tops and not much down low, complicating any design (not the Bjorn tree doesn't have branches until three feet up the trunk--not unusual).

That said, those roots area also very shallow, so shallow that mature trees are easily toppled by wind. We've lost several very old big ones in my neighborhood from high winds over the years. Long lived for a Va. Pine is 50.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
We have thousand of these Virginia pines where I live. I pulled a few and put in nursery pots but it is probably a waste of time because I will not likely live long enough to see them develop into anything. They seemed a lot happier in the very poor soil they are in. Mine were potted about 3 years ago in a good growers mix and honestly, they have not improved at all and some have declined.
Every strong storm we hear you can sit out on the porch and hear them come down in the woods.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Off topic but glad to see you back. You haven't been here for awhile.
Thanks friend, life has got in the way a little bit but I'll be back more. Repotted a Pocomoke into one of your pots and I've been wanting to send you a pic (hacked it back hard and it took a while to flush, didn't want to send you a presumably dead tree pic:p).

I hope all is well with you; I see you are throwing pots again 😈😈🥳:cool:. I'm glad your shoulder is doing better!

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks friend, life has got in the way a little bit but I'll be back more. Repotted a Pocomoke into one of your pots and I've been wanting to send you a pic (hacked it back hard and it took a while to flush, didn't want to send you a presumably dead tree pic:p).

I hope all is well with you; I see you are throwing pots again 😈😈🥳:cool:
Just started up again.
But back to Va pine. I kinda think they are a waste of time but if you want to dig some and are in my neck of the woods, send me a PM. March and early April is best time to dig them. But like rockm said, they will come up bare root and you will only be able to harvest small ones.

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Conifers have always been tricky for me and I just have never been that successful with them. I would definitely try again with VA pine if I could find a containerized one, I won't even waste my time trying to dig one up...

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Conifers have always been tricky for me and I just have never been that successful with them. I would definitely try again with VA pine if I could find a containerized one, I won't even waste my time trying to dig one up...
Offer stands my friend.

naleshin

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Up here in No. Va., Virginia pine is the primary pine species. I have to actively look for Loblolly.

I wouldn't get all excited about Va. pine as bonsai--unless you can find a tree like Bjorn is working--i.e. already containerized with some decent character. They are not common bonsai because, here at least, they are extremely difficult to collect.

They grow in areas with bad soil. Look for them in "disturbed areas, like old construction sites. etc. The area in the pic is near a path road that looks to have been cleared... They tend to have extremely long running roots--I've seen some that have feeder roots 15-20 feet away from the trunk. Also, when you lift them to get them out, they almost always automatically bareroot themselves. Good bonsai candidates almost always have branching at their tops and not much down low, complicating any design (not the Bjorn tree doesn't have branches until three feet up the trunk--not unusual).

That said, those roots area also very shallow, so shallow that mature trees are easily toppled by wind. We've lost several very old big ones in my neighborhood from high winds over the years. Long lived for a Va. Pine is 50.
Thanks for the insight! I look forward to collecting seedlings & getting them healthy & developing from there.

naleshin

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
We have thousand of these Virginia pines where I live. I pulled a few and put in nursery pots but it is probably a waste of time because I will not likely live long enough to see them develop into anything. They seemed a lot happier in the very poor soil they are in. Mine were potted about 3 years ago in a good growers mix and honestly, they have not improved at all and some have declined.
Every strong storm we hear you can sit out on the porch and hear them come down in the woods.
How do you mean "good growers mix", what's that compromised of? I want to be sure I avoid that soil for collecting then haha

Top Bottom