On Vacation, How Long Can Overwatering Be Done?

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Eric, I realize you are in the shadow out there, but when brewed fresh at home, and control the taste via the amount of , and the way the beans are ground you eliminate the burnt log they toss in at thier stores.

Dave D.D. is for chocolate covered donuts for my daughter, and the odd cup in case I forgot my mug at home. As much of DD as I have had over the years, I just don't like it, since I started drinking good coffee.

Don't ever put a cup of DD in Marcos hand, he'll tell you it isn't coffee.

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Don't ever put a cup of DD in Marcos hand, he'll tell you it isn't coffee.
crap .... something I actually agree with him on ... hmmmm

personally I just think its not fair that the rest of america be subject to bad coffee ... If I were rich (like uber filthy rolling around in thousand dollar bills rich) I would insist on all of america drinking freshly roasted fine coffees ... and would train a local micro roaster and provide inexpensive high quality beans to all of them!!!

at least until then.... you are grinding your own .... and using a French press right??? :) :) *coffee snob glare* :) :) :)

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Grinding yes, daily. As to the press, no, but I have found a way to make a drip coffee maker work better than it is supposed to. My wife thinks I am nuts, but she has said recently that she can't take DD anymore, will you make some coffee.

Do you have a brand/bean recommendation, Mr Coffee house snob???;) Sorry to the OP for the hijack, but coffee is pretty important.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Do you have a brand/bean recommendation, Mr Coffee house snob???;)
My mother in law loves blue mountain coffee. Last year we lucked up and found some beans at Costco. IIRC they were 2.5 lb bags for only $10.00 each!!! After the pallet sold out (and quick)...we haven't seen the same deal again.

I am not a coffee snob (not even much of a coffee drinker) but I have to agree that blue mountain tasted different ...and good!

How about these?

http://www.coffeereview.com/allreviews.cfm

http://www.gocoffeego.com/

Last edited:

Ang3lfir3

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Do you have a brand/bean recommendation, Mr Coffee house snob???;) Sorry to the OP for the hijack, but coffee is pretty important.

one of the best local roasts ... (the roaster is the wife of an ex-coworker of mine) .... http://www.fogwomancoffee.com/shop-organic-coffee.html "Misty Morning" is one of the best roasts with none of the bitterness common in most blends ... even when cold (beyond a well roasted Blue Mountain or Kona [is there really anything more aromatic and tasty?]

A local Seattle roaster with some of the best blends around ... http://www.seattlecoffeeworks.com/index.php << a local favorite in downtown and an old haunt of mine (when I worked closer to Pike Place Market)

Peet's is decent and when you can't find much else it can sometimes be found ... http://www.peets.com/shop/coffee.asp

There have to be some wicked good local roasters there in Mass ..... I can't imagine they don't exist .... local roasters are nearly always better than SB as the local roasters coffee won't have been sitting on a shelf in a warehouse for 6mnths ....

coffee is indeed important! :) :)

P.S. when brewing extremely fresh coffee ... be careful that the off gassing (CO2) from the beans does not cause your drip brewer to overflow with foam .... this is one of the benefits to using a french press vs a drip brewer ....

Last edited:

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I was fortunate enough to be a Brand Manager for our specialty coffee line about 8 years ago, and got to spend some time with Starbucks in Chicago, and a roaster in Sacramento called Java City. Their coffee was very good, but the real treat was seeing the beans pulled out of the roaster to do a cupping with the Roasters and the Brokers that went to the different plantations around the world. It was all French press, and they hit 8/8 in blind tasting. Pretty impressive. Also intersting, they pour the green beans out of the burlap, through a magnetic grate to remove foreign objects (bullet casings) before they hit the roasters...

Of necessity, I have gotten acclimated to Starbucks, but Peet's is good too (they actually taught Starbucks how to roast).

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I have had Petes, forget which blend, it was good.

You made me think, and we do have a Deans Beans around, I'll have to check closer to see what they have to offer. Thanks for the links.
Misty Morning eh, even sounds like a good cup.

Hoosteady

Yamadori
Reaction score
This thread has officially been hijacked... Something I'm OK with b/c vacations, the watering of plants on said vacations and coffee are all equally important in my opinion. If only I could vacation while surrounded by plants and coffee... Cheers to another trip to Costa Rica.

Top Bottom