One for Dario, a boxwood airlayer

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Last year, I posted some azaleas and Dario really liked the flowers, so I sent him some. I didn't ask for anything in return, but he sent me this boxwood that he had air layered. I feel like he got the bad end of the exchange.

Anyway, I decided to repot since it had started growing really well. Oh, by the way, it was growing in 100% Turface and, quite well at that. The pot I put it in was made at my friend and fellow club member, Barry Wyatt's studio.

DSC00842-1.jpg DSC00843-1.jpg DSC00845-1.jpg DSC00846-1.jpg DSC00847-1.jpg

The first picture shows the awesome root development, the next two show a little trimming that I did on the bottom of the bottom of the trunk. The last two show how I anchored it in the pot. What do you think?

John

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice ROOTS!

Sorce

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I probably would have planted it at a little more of an angle and removed the dead branch at the bottom...

Nice hefty trunk on it for such a recent layer! You got a good start, no doubt!

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I probably reposition it in a later repot, the goal this time was to just get it into a pot. I haven't really decided what to do with the branch at the base. I might remove it or jin it.

Thanks,

John

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I probably reposition it in a later repot, the goal this time was to just get it into a pot. I haven't really decided what to do with the branch at the base. I might remove it or jin it.

Thanks,

John

This one must be very "full" by now and possibly ready for some design choices. Very interested to see the end result!

Grimmy

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I was just looking at it yesterday evening, and you are right, it has put out a lot of new growth and I hope to get some more wire on it.

John

zachkent29

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I guess I should've elaborated a little... Does he have an online shop, how can I contact him, etc?

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I guess I should've elaborated a little... Does he have an online shop, how can I contact him, etc?
I will PM you with it tomorrow, I thought I had it saved in my phone, but can't find it but I have written down at work. I don't know it he has a web site, he lives close by (20 mins) I just go there. He also has lava, pumice, and fir bark.

John

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
This tree is A dirty old man! Reminds me of those little fertility statues!

I dub thee "Red Rocket"!

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Agreed, for me, the trunk is too straight. I too would've potted at an angle.

Btw, where the heck did Dario go??

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
When I repot, I will change the angle, I see how it would make it better.

Dario no longer posts here, you can find him on Facebook in a group called bonsai odyssey

John

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
UPDATE

I finally got around to putting some wire on this one, and got rid of that awkward looking jin at the bottom. I also smoothed out a dead area on the "back" of the tree. I took it back to green wood, maybe it will heal over, we'll see. I the spring I plan to tilt it a little in the pot to give the trunk more movement. What do you think?

John

DSC00046-3.jpg

DSC00047-3.jpg

DSC00049-3.jpg

DSC00051-3.jpg

DSC00054-3.jpg

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the subtle feminine like movement and taper. Great improvement already. Looks like this tree is going places. Looking forward to see its progression... :)

Top Bottom