One for Dario, a boxwood airlayer

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
I don't know if anyone remembers him at all. When I made the original post, I knew he had quit posting as much, but did not know that he had completely left the forum. I guess the title may seem strange to some of the new folks around here. Regardless of what people think of him, he did do a great job on this air layer. I had sent him a couple of azaleas that I had that he liked, just some small ones that I had gotten at the flea market. He sent this to me in return.

John

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah, he's the south Texas guy who had never seen a winter, but saw no problem giving overwintering advice to folks in Minnesota...

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Regardless of what people think of him, he did do a great job on this air layer.

Dario Octaviano hangs out on Face Book with a group called Bosai Odyssey, his most recent activity there looks to be a pretty nice Desert Olive. Man that guy posted a lot here! I talked to him a few times on the phone and got along ok.

Grimmy

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wasn't he the quiet one? Never had much to say, if I recall.
Yeah, that was him, the quiet one :rolleyes:

He posts a lot of his stuff on his Facebook page and I must say his trees seem to be coming along nicely. I'd like to see him post some updates on them here but I think he's moved on for good.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Poink is my Boy!

Another good Button Pusher!

I wonder if I'd formulate Another opinion if I read all 8k posts?

Sorce

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For all his flaws, at least Dario talked about bonsai and generated discussion about bonsai. I'd say 50-75% of what is posted on the forum these days is just pure crap (and you can certainly include these words).

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry John...

Great guy ol Dario.... Has pure bonsai blood running through his veins.... focusses on trees, not so much on himself.

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Sorry John...

Great guy ol Dario.... Has pure bonsai blood running through his veins.... focusses on trees, not so much on himself.

Wasn't actually fishing for that, just trying to focus on the tree. It is not the greatest tree by any means, but I like it.

John

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yep I agree. As per my comment above I like it to. Just had to say my say about Dario....:)
I'm watching this progression eagerly, as I have a 15yr old hedge of box woods in my yard that I'm taking out in the near future.....
Apologies again :)

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Update:
I had a little time today so i gave this one a little style. I have to say, "Thanks, Dario", for sending me some interesting material. In a few more years, I think it will really be something.

Before:

DSC00988-1.jpg

DSC00990-1.jpg

DSC00992-1.jpg

DSC00994-1.jpg

After:

DSC00995-1.jpgDSC00997-1.jpg

DSC01003-1.jpg

Attachments

• DSC00999-1.jpg
    DSC00999-1.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 0

TyroTinker

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is a good looking tree :) I look forward to seeing more of it.
What do you think your next step in design will be for this?

Mellow Mullet

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
This is a good looking tree :) I look forward to seeing more of it.
What do you think your next step in design will be for this?

Mostly just letting it fill in so it looks less pine-like and more like a deciduous tree.

John

Top Bottom