One in a millon Kinnikinnick

BenBSeattle

Sapling
Reaction score
20190306_174008.jpgI was fortunate enough to collect this kinnikinnick which I believe is related to the cotoneaster.
20190306_174005.jpg
It has a 1 in a millon trunk but I have no idea yet on what i can do with it. Right now I'm just trying to pot train it and nurse it to health.

It a20190306_121711.jpglready has that wind swept or cascade look so maybe I can style it like that?

Tycoss

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 230942I was fortunate enough to collect this kinnikinnick which I believe is related to the cotoneaster.
View attachment 230944
It has a 1 in a millon trunk but I have no idea yet on what i can do with it. Right now I'm just trying to pot train it and nurse it to health.

It aView attachment 230945lready has that wind swept or cascade look so maybe I can style it like that?
We have loads of kinnikinnick near here, but I’ve never seen a trunk like that! Good find. The couple I’ve collected seem alright in a pot so far.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Oooh! What an exceptional finding!
I am not an expert but I doubt Arctostaphylos/Kinnikinnick is related to Cotoneaster.
The first is in the Ericaceae family while the second in the Rosaceae f.

BenBSeattle

Sapling
Reaction score
i just did a quick google look up
Arctostaphylos uva-ursi (Kinnikinnick, Pinemat Manzanita, Bearberry)

Arctostaphylos Adans. – manzanita

Arctostaphylos uva-ursi (L.) Spreng. – kinnikinnick

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
View attachment 230942I was fortunate enough to collect this kinnikinnick which I believe is related to the cotoneaster.
View attachment 230944

It aView attachment 230945lready has that wind swept or cascade look so maybe I can style it like that?
I like the cascade idea based on its natural growth form and tendencies. They ground layer extremely easily so obtaining new material for grafting should be easy. Nice find.

PiñonJ

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I like the cascade idea based on its natural growth form and tendencies. They ground layer extremely easily so obtaining new material for grafting should be easy. Nice find.
View attachment 230944

I thought they were extremely sensitive to having their roots disturbed. @Arcto has kept several alive.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I thought they were extremely sensitive to having their roots disturbed. @Arcto has kept several alive.
When we developed our acreage we purchased 250 Kinnickinnik plugs from a nursery that propagates native plants to our area. To plant on the hillside for serosion protection. Watered them in and came back the next day. The deer decided to check them out and pulled most of them up, did not eat them just pulled them up. We replanted them and put down deer repellant ( blood meal ) in the area.
They mostly all survived and they propagate faster than rabbits, producing roots wherever they touch the ground for long in our climate. Similar to ground cover creeping style junipers. Sandy, gravelled type soil, south facing slope full sun. They make an amazing ground cover!
Cannot speak for collection or trying to raise in a pot with different soil combinations.
I would suspect the key would be free draining , drier and sunnier locations once established. We planted in the fall and our winters are warmer and wetter. Drier, sunny warm summers.
I do understand that manzanita are a different matter all together!

Mike Hennigan

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Wow, that’s seriously amazing! Hope it recovers well! I googled the species, apparently the genus and species name translates to “Bear-grape grape-of-the-bear” ?. A little redundant but I dig it!

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
That is one heck of a trunk for a kinnikinnick. If that takes to being potted, it will be one of the few kinnikinnick bonsai. I have had trouble getting kinnikinnick to grow in a pot, consistently lost my first couple attempts shortly after repotting. I probably did something wrong. I did go from nursery peat-bark mix straight to an all inorganic, that did not seem to work. I'll try something else the next time I try.

Arcto

Chumono
Reaction score
My collected and nursery manzanitas go in a inorganic, well draining soil. Light applications of organic fertilizer just prevents me from doing something dumb and over fertilizing and burning the fine hair roots I want to promote. Avoid watering foliage, especially on warm sunny days. Interesting enough, rain doesn’t seem to be a problem like watering or overhead irrigation. Check out the Manzanita thread. Good contributions by different people. Finally, any success I have had in collecting new species has come from doing my research and homework prior to extracting any plant. Just something to keep in mind in the future. Good luck.

Top Bottom