One more landscape yew

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the kind words, guys. Perhaps, I'm being a bit hard on myself, but this tree has given me fits as far as styling goes. With the great base and shari, the upper portion of the trunk and branching have never felt "good enough" for me. I've changed my mind on where to go with the upper 50% of the tree about 5 times now, and the tree's development has suffered because of my innability to commit. I actually removed ALL the foliage from the 2 branches comprising the upper apex(branches left for future jin) after discussing things with a Bonsai professional from CA 2 years ago...he recommended bringing the apex back down and to the left, as the tree had been initially styled. Wouldn't you know it but the bare branches budded back last spring...surely a sign that that this was not the way to go:p. Anyway, the tree needs some wire and I'm going to see what I can do with it...maybe later this spring.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks for the kind words, guys. Perhaps, I'm being a bit hard on myself, but this tree has given me fits as far as styling goes. With the great base and shari, the upper portion of the trunk and branching have never felt "good enough" for me. I've changed my mind on where to go with the upper 50% of the tree about 5 times now, and the tree's development has suffered because of my innability to commit. I actually removed ALL the foliage from the 2 branches comprising the upper apex(branches left for future jin) after discussing things with a Bonsai professional from CA 2 years ago...he recommended bringing the apex back down and to the left, as the tree had been initially styled. Wouldn't you know it but the bare branches budded back last spring...surely a sign that that this was not the way to go:p. Anyway, the tree needs some wire and I'm going to see what I can do with it...maybe later this spring.

Bring it here...:)

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Dav4, that tree is a real beauty. I would love to have one like that, where did you say you lived in North Georgia?:rolleyes:

ed

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hadn't seen this one before, but I like it a lot Dave. I think you're being a little hard on yourself, it can definitely be a nice tree with a little more of your time.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I finally got some wire on this tree, cleaned up the bark, and trimmed it up somewhat. The shari expanded a bit on its own(the lightish brown color is recently exposed deadwood) and will need more weathering to blend in. I'm trying to make the canopy more compact...we shall see.

Attachments

• DSCF1238.1.jpg
    DSCF1238.1.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 159

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Tom, I bought this tree 10 years ago (I think) from that landscape nursery on the corner of Rt 1 and Rt 152 just South of RT 495...I forget the name. We used to get our X-mas trees there:D.

tmmason10

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Tom, I bought this tree 10 years ago (I think) from that landscape nursery on the corner of Rt 1 and Rt 152 just South of RT 495...I forget the name. We used to get our X-mas trees there:D.

I know where you're talking about, but I can't remember the name either. I stopped by last fall.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I finally got some wire on this tree, cleaned up the bark, and trimmed it up somewhat. The shari expanded a bit on its own(the lightish brown color is recently exposed deadwood) and will need more weathering to blend in. I'm trying to make the canopy more compact...we shall see.

I've been looking at this most recent picture, and I find that the significant taper in the first 1/2 of the trunk seems to be at odds with the relative lack of taper in the upper 1/3. Anybody out there think this tree needs to be shortened, or maybe, try to cover up more of the upper trunk with foliage? Just thinking out loud during a slow day at work:eek:.

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
It's good. If anything, you could hide a bit of the trunk with some foliage, and maybe extend the shari up a bit to add the illusion of better taper.

And, it may just be the 2D nature of the photo, but you could consider shortening that last top shoot on the right, which appears higher than the shoot my eye "goes to" as the apex.

Now, as I cover it up with my hand, consider shortening everything on the right just a little and the movement to the left is more dramatic, and it really pushes out the jin toward the right.
Dav4 Yew.jpg
Or go crazy and remove that first right branch and really show off the jin/shari?
Dav4 Yew 2.jpg
Alright...back to work I go...

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I re-potted this one into an older yamaaki oval...I thought the square was a tad too masculine for the tree. Comments or thoughts?

Attachments

• DSCF1465.jpg
    DSCF1465.jpg
    186.9 KB · Views: 135

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Love it!... If I am not mistaken..Is this the yew that I used to always ask you to give, sell or donate to me?;)

Rob

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nahhhh...nope, that one died years ago...couldn't take the southern heat:p.

Awww man... No, I loved that tree. Well, I wasn't going to ask you to give, donate or sell it to me..Maybe have it shipped....lol;)

Rob

fore

Omono
Reaction score
Nahhhh...nope, that one died years ago...couldn't take the southern heat:p.
LOL!! Happens to the best of us, and me ;)

I also really like the new round pot, and smaller size. Another beautiful tree Dave ;) (Still think I like the JRP better though lol)

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Finally!!

This has been one of the trees I've had the longest....it's also one of the trees that has frustrated me the most. I've never been happy with the design as something just didn't seem right with it. Well, I think I've fixed that....FINALLY! I lost the lowest right branch...it was that simple. Losing that branch made for a much more dynamic design, I think, and really highlighted the movement in the trunk along with the deadwood and life lines. With that being said, I'm rethinking the current planting angle. I know what I prefer...which one do you?

Attachments

• DSC_0019.jpg
    DSC_0019.jpg
    184.2 KB · Views: 123
  • DSC_0018.jpg
    DSC_0018.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 295

Brian Van Fleet

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I'd split the difference between the two angles. It needs to come up a little, maybe not quite that much.

Great call removing that lower right branch. The tree is much better now.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I'd split the difference between the two angles. It needs to come up a little, maybe not quite that much.

Great call removing that lower right branch. The tree is much better now.

Thanks Brian. It felt great cutting off that branch...don't know why it took so long:eek:. Anyway, I'll be changing the angle this spring and will be tilting it to the left...how much I'm not sure. I've got a few months to decide, but right now, I'm leaning toward a bit more then less...more tension? I'd need to change the inclination of the branching to fit the steeper angle...I think it could look real good like that. If I have time, maybe I'll move the branches around a bit and take more pics and see how much of a difference it makes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom