One more mystery conifer to identify

San Franpsycho

Sapling
Reaction score
A tree i've grown from a sprouted cone for about 9-10 years, after a recent hard prune. I believe its a variety of cypress or cedar, not sure. Can anyone pin it down? or direct me somewhere? thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_6675.JPG
    IMG_6675.JPG
    203.7 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_6672.JPG
    IMG_6672.JPG
    243.5 KB · Views: 105

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
You need to provide information to narrow down the list of "suspects". Was the cone collected from an urban or suburban landscape? If yes, then the tree could be ANY conifer used for landscape material in the greater San Francisco area.

If the cone was collected from a wilderness area, then the list of suspects can be easily narrowed down to trees native to the area you collected the cone from.

Wikipedia is your friend. The new world cypresses are a good candidate. The genus is Cupressus, or the latest taxonomy renaming is Hesperocyparis.

There are several native to California, and they are popular as landscape plants. Cupressus pygmaea sometimes spelled pigmaea, is the Mendocino cypress. And Cupressus goveniana is native to Monterey county, south of San Francisco, both are used as landscape trees around SF. There are several other Cupressus native to CA that are candidates. Also, if this came from an urban or suburban landscape it could be the Mediterranean Cypress, Cupressus sempervirens.

I am fairly certain you have a Cupressus or Hesperocyparis. Browse Wikipedia entries and see which fits what you have

If you are able to navigate "botanical speak" one of the good official references is Flora of North America, an on-line botanical reference.

San Franpsycho

Sapling
Reaction score
You need to provide information to narrow down the list of "suspects". Was the cone collected from an urban or suburban landscape? If yes, then the tree could be ANY conifer used for landscape material in the greater San Francisco area.

If the cone was collected from a wilderness area, then the list of suspects can be easily narrowed down to trees native to the area you collected the cone from.

Wikipedia is your friend. The new world cypresses are a good candidate. The genus is Cupressus, or the latest taxonomy renaming is Hesperocyparis.

There are several native to California, and they are popular as landscape plants. Cupressus pygmaea sometimes spelled pigmaea, is the Mendocino cypress. And Cupressus goveniana is native to Monterey county, south of San Francisco, both are used as landscape trees around SF. There are several other Cupressus native to CA that are candidates. Also, if this came from an urban or suburban landscape it could be the Mediterranean Cypress, Cupressus sempervirens.

I am fairly certain you have a Cupressus or Hesperocyparis. Browse Wikipedia entries and see which fits what you have

If you are able to navigate "botanical speak" one of the good official references is Flora of North America, an on-line botanical reference.

It was government land, not a completely landscaped park, sort of suburban. In the bay area we have a lot of reserved land breaking up the sprawl ( I highly recommend it!) due to a combination of geographic and city-planning drivers.
Cupressus or Hesperocyparis do sem most likely.
To me the growth pattern (a littel disappointingly) doesn't look like Monterrey. Growth pattern of the needles (or whatever you call em) look more like Mediterraean to me. its not rigidly regular ot contiguous the way some Cypress are. My knowledge is by no means encyclopedic so any other guesses or classification hints are welcome

San Franpsycho

Sapling
Reaction score
His branching pattern was definitely a single straight leader w/fairly horizontal branches before I interfered.

ShimpakuBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Difficult to say based on those pics.
Have you already used an app like Plantnet to identify the tree species?

Top Bottom