One more recent purchase -- a little group of nice fellas just hangin' out

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nothing terribly special, but I think this is a very attractive little clump/grove/whatever. Sadly one of the trunks died over the winter, but everything else looks healthy. The picture doesn't do it justice, nor does it show all the little buds in back that are about to pop. This is at most three or four inches tall.

3-12-13010_zps3ccaf23b.jpg

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice little tree. What is it? Maple? Cant really tell.., but it's a nice composition, good pot choice.

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Howdy, y'all. Yeah, it's a Trident clump. I wish I could take credit for the pot choice, but that's what it was in when I bought it. As far as my creative input in the tree goes, it doesn't much exist just yet...but it will. lol -- Just keeping this as a log. And, well, because everyone here loves pictures of trees, of course. :D

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice clump Alex! Clumps have got to be among my favorite of all styles for deciduous varieties specially maples. It is very hard to find good examples of this form unless you're in Japan. For the next decade or so, one of my goals is to plant and develop shohin Japanese maple clumps from young trees.

As for your lovely clump, I would personally develop it sideways and keep your height almost as is.

Alex DeRuiter

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
You know, I never used to admire clumps or groves or rafts at all until I started finding examples in Japanese exhibitions and nurseries (though technically it was all through blogs, but whatevs). Likewise, they've become one of my favorite styles, especially with maples. I notice myself getting more excited about a beautifully styled clump than any other style, unless it's something mind-blowing. But anywho. . . . I think it's a terrific idea to dedicate a good chunk of your time to making clumps. I have 500 kaede seeds stratifying in the fridge right now, so perhaps I can try to parallel your project with them instead of momiji. :D

As for this tree, I totally agree with you. I think anything taller would ruin the image. I plan to grow outwards and work mostly on ramification. Only time can really bring out the beauty of age in the tree, but I'll wait.

Top Bottom