One night of 43F?

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
We've had a very early, warm, and wet spring. My tropicals (Ficus, Schefflera, Carrisa, Portulacaria) have been outside for 10 days soaking it up. Predicted low temperature tonight is 43 F, rapidly returning to a low in the mid 50s tomorrow. Would you bring them inside?

Grovic

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I would, if the temperatures go lower it can really set you back, are the trees super heavy or hard to move? I guess the question you need to ask yourself is: would you be willing to risk it?

canoeguide

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I wouldn't be too concerned about 43 (for what will probably be a brief period of a few hours maximum). However, I do believe that 43 in the spring, after a winter indoors at ~72, is different than 43 in the autumn, after weeks of declining temperatures. If you're worried, moving them is easy insurance against issues.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Since they have been outside, low temperatures have fluctuated between 50 and 65. National Weather Service (the only forecast I trust) shows 12 hours below 50. NWS will issue a new forecast at 4 PM.

Mayank

Chumono
Reaction score
I wouldn't be too concerned about 43 (for what will probably be a brief period of a few hours maximum). However, I do believe that 43 in the spring, after a winter indoors at ~72, is different than 43 in the autumn, after weeks of declining temperatures. If you're worried, moving them is easy insurance against issues.
I agree that 43 in different situations is a different animal. My tropicals for sure stay out in Fall until they start talking about 30s just cause I'm lazy and they don't mind. I do move the little ones under the outside coffee table for the night sometimes and/or I have this really soft and light cloth that I may loosely put on them (the trops are usually clustered together in early fall).

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I leave mine out (several Ficus species including microcarpa) unless I get a frost warning. They often see temps in the high 30's F. Sometimes I get a bit of leaf damage, but rarely. Mostly they just don't grow until conditions improve.

Colorado Josh

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I would. Last spring my Ficus toolittle hit 45. They dropped every single leaf and lost a few branches. A year later, and it's finally back to where it was.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
F. microcarpa, F. microcarpa 'Green Island', F. salicaria.

Protect the salicaria below 40. If you’re expecting 43, that’s close. I’d consider bringing it in. I wouldn’t worry about protecting either of the microcarpas or the schefflera. My microcarpa and schefflera stay out all winter unless there’s a freeze. I don’t have experience with the other two you mentioned.

s

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks, Scott. That is more or less I was thinking. The Carissa is used as a landscape plant all along the Gulf coast, so it should not be damaged. The Portulacaria are small and easy to move. We'll see what the updated forecast says. If the thick clouds stick around there won't be much radiational cooling.

Michael P

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
So I chickened out, and put everything in the garage overnight, except for one enormous schefflera. It is supposed to hit 60 today with a low of 54 tonight, so they go back outside this afternoon. Thanks for all the replies!

Top Bottom