one of my eastern hemlock yamadori

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
tsuga canadensis, acquired this with coworker around our work property (his dad owns it and lets us do this with his permission) along with some hornbeam/hophornbeam

i got 3 other smaller ones with great movement and health as well. i have these right in my backyard woods
as well, but nothing juvenile that i could find.

this is the largest i got, it had snapped naturally and has an inch of girth thereabouts, 36" tall, was wider than now up until a few days ago
i got a lot of roots and original soil with them and they have taken to their repots, new growth, etc.

i pruned this one back the other day by 15% just to manage it better around my property, hoping for it to backbud and fill in more
my plan for it is to fill it out, reduce it in future, and possibly have all the main branches weighed down, or wired maybe

the smaller ones ill post in here eventually (they have nicer shapes than the big one)

20210707_094741.jpg

20210707_070756.jpg

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice, I'm working with a small one too. I find them to be pretty nice to work with. If I had a good source to find some larger ones, I would definitely add more.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Nice, I'm working with a small one too. I find them to be pretty nice to work with. If I had a good source to find some larger ones, I would definitely add more.
thanks, and rad you have one...feel like maybe ive seen yours. slow growing ive heard. i kept mine in morning sun/shade first few months, and have been letting it get more direct sun since.
its in my 'a bit more wet' category, can handle a lot of water and the organic soil

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
mine is nothing to write home about. There's a couple pics of it floating around but I don't have a thread on it. Mine also likes water and seems to appreciate the surface of the soil being covered in moss. I keep it in mostly full sun also. They seem to keep growing pretty much all season if you keep pruning them. But they won't back bud on old wood very often, if at all. So don't let them get too leggy.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
mine is nothing to write home about. There's a couple pics of it floating around but I don't have a thread on it. Mine also likes water and seems to appreciate the surface of the soil being covered in moss. I keep it in mostly full sun also. They seem to keep growing pretty much all season if you keep pruning them. But they won't back bug on old wood very often, if at all. So don't let them get too leggy.
cool, and i have heard they handle sun and shade well! ill aim for mostly sun for mine to keep her moving.
ill have to deal with what nature gave me with legginess. i saw some backbudding since i made my first prune recently, but hoping to see more soon and ill keep that in mind. there is growth further back on branches but it is more sparse. ill have to time things out well if i have to utilize any of that.

we'll see, ill keep updates in here

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice,
Eastern Hemlock is my favorite species to work these days. Could be the photo, but yours looks to have some reverse taper. My collected one does too, so not insurmountable, I don’t think.
Mine seems to love a boonish soil mix with a little extra organics. I then pump up the growth with high nitrogen fertilizer tablets (agriform), while mine are in development.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have found the best way to get back budding, is to let it grow through the growing season, and then cut back in the winter. It won’t back bud on old wood, but you get some budding where the leaves have retired within the last year or so.
You can chase it back during the growing season, but that gets denser growth in my experience.

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Nice,
Eastern Hemlock is my favorite species to work these days. Could be the photo, but yours looks to have some reverse taper. My collected one does too, so not insurmountable, I don’t think.
Mine seems to love a boonish soil mix with a little extra organics. I then pump up the growth with high nitrogen fertilizer tablets (agriform), while mine are in development.
it could have some reverse...nothing that stands out a lot though. im hoping i can beef it up and address
the root flare by next spring but i honestly might just let it gain strength for a couple years before i mess with it again.
it did get a little haircut the other day and we have prime weather forecast (20 min downpour last evening, 85* sun today) for it to get going more than it had. i saw maybe 2" of new growth in 2 mos since i collected it

Peconomou

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I collected this for a garden tree this spring. Mine definitely does not like a lot of sun...had to move it to mostly shade. Many of the needles turned yellow when it was in too much sun. I have new growth and buds now so I think it is safe....seems to back bud well.

Attachments

• Hemlock Garden Tree.jpg
    Hemlock Garden Tree.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 20

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I collected this for a garden tree this spring. Mine definitely does not like a lot of sun...had to move it to mostly shade. Many of the needles turned yellow when it was in too much sun. I have new growth and buds now so I think it is safe....seems to back bud well.
nice. hoping mine isnt burning as we speak! in full sun at the moment but luckily it got downpoured on last evening around 8pm

Peconomou

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
small world, i was in leicester for first time a month ago....

currently 1 hr from worcester

you got those same storms last night maybe, and its 87* full sun today
yes...funny...your zone is 7A? I definitely don't think Worcester is 7A..5 or 6 at the best

hinmo24t

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
heres a picture of three others i have.
they were collected near my work, one of them i believe was legit growing out of a rotten
tree stump

20210802_191915.jpg

20210802_211828.jpg

Top Bottom