One root wonder

b3bowen

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I took an air layer from a viridis Japanese maple Last year. I potted it up after removal, and it has done great. The trunk is probably 3/4 of an inch thick. When I went to repot it over spring, I found that it had a very strong root system, but every root emanated from a single root coming off the trunk. I would still like to use the material instead of planting as a landscape tree. I did go ahead and plant it in the ground for now just to build vigor for any next step. Just wanted to get opinions on how to replace/build a nebari. As far as I see it I have three options. One, Take multiple small viridis air layers and graft each to the trunk Radially. Two, do the same thing, but use standard Japanese maple seedlings to try to get a stronger root system.Lastly and most obvious, would be to just try and ground layer it which I would probably do using a tourniquet method to reduce the risk of entirely losing the tree, because I have had entire air layers on this tree fail. My biggest concern with that option is that I go through two years of trouble, and get one root again.
Thoughts?

Attachments

• F92446F3-7938-4D91-ABF4-E6A2F9799AAA.jpeg
    F92446F3-7938-4D91-ABF4-E6A2F9799AAA.jpeg
    243.9 KB · Views: 34

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
These are usually reluctant to root and weak when grown on their own roots. I think you have done well to get this layer to take.
Layering again may work better but probably has an equal chance to fail or just produce one root again.
I would try grafting standard JM seedlings to get more and reliable roots but there will probably be scars from the graft points. JM roots will be stronger and more reliable long term.

Otherwise look for a more reliable variety. Seryu has similar deeply divided leaves but is a far stronger, upright growing variety.

Top Bottom