One seed junipers

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Aaron, if you have easy access, go water them a few times prior to collection, unless there's a good rain forecast. That's what I did with the one I dug from my land. It's on year two now and growing strong. It was six feet tall, but I pruned it in the ground the year prior to collection. I've done a couple of minor branch prunings since then, and got it in a bonsai pot this spring. I'll do it's first major styling next spring. The roots can take some abuse if you leave the foliage alone. That's a piñon stump next to it.
View attachment 120667 View attachment 120668
I definitely want to give that cascade a shot but it's roots travel around the rock it's on, there is some roots close by to the trunk in a rock pocket but I wouldn't feel confident with just those so I plan to root prune and place sphagnum moss to the cut ends. Check back the following year.
The beast in the Crack is easily hundreds of years old, the base it about 10inches across and when you look down the Crack it's in, you don't see soil, just an empty abyss. That one will stay put and I'll just treasure it, I doubt many other people have ever seen that tree based on its location and how crazy I was to get to it.

Aaron

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Aaron ,
If you come up with any extra one seeds let me know. BTW , do you belong to the Albuquerque club ? I belonged for a while but the commute finally got to me ( and my wallet )

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Aaron ,
If you come up with any extra one seeds let me know. BTW , do you belong to the Albuquerque club ? I belonged for a while but the commute finally got to me ( and my wallet )
I'll definitely let you know on my success rates and if I have any extras. I am part of the ABQ club, I'm actually the youngest member. I'm scheduled to do a wiring class/workshop next spring which I'm pretty excited to do.

Aaron

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have collected several one seed over the years. The first four I collected a few years ago died on me. The 3 most recent survived and are thriving. I read an article on an artist who collects juniper in California and how he mists his juniper foliage in intervals throughout the day. Apparently when collected juniper roots are heavily disturbed, there foliage will begin to take in moisture as a method of survival. I set up a mister on the 3 most recent one seed i collected, misting every 3 hrs for 45 minutes at a time. I also left most of the original root ball intact only exposing the root tips and kept them out of direct sunlight for the first year. They have all survived and have been repotted and styled. The first 4 i collected were amazing and i wish i had this info then.

this blog post is where i got the idea to mist heavy for a while to my collected juniper. The collector here has a mist house.
https://peterteabonsai.wordpress.com

Attachments

• IMG_1374.JPG
    IMG_1374.JPG
    529.9 KB · Views: 20
Top Bottom