One tool, Dremel or Die Grinder?

n8

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Or I guess a better way to put it would be: What tool would you buy first?

Sorry... edited my post. I had a Dremel for other projects that was very handy when I started carving up trees. But I very quickly needed more power and bigger bits.

Don't skimp on the safety gear!

RJG2

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Depends on how big your carving jobs are really. If you're starting smallish, go for the Dremel with something like a nibbler bit.

Other answer:

HD-wallpaper-tool-undertow-spiral-out-thumbnail~2.jpg

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Die grinder with variable speed switch.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I have not tried the nibbler type bits in the dremel type rotary tool. With normal dremel bits it takes forever to carve more than a tiny bit of wood so the choice really comes down to what sized trees you intend to work on and how much wood you're likely to be carving out.
So far I've killed 3 rotary tools so I'd get a die grinder to carve out more wood when I need to.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm with size matters.

I also believe using less precise tools lead to a more natural look, like hands and time.

Sorce

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have not tried the nibbler type bits in the dremel type rotary tool. With normal dremel bits it takes forever to carve more than a tiny bit of wood so the choice really comes down to what sized trees you intend to work on and how much wood you're likely to be carving out.
So far I've killed 3 rotary tools so I'd get a die grinder to carve out more wood when I need to.
Thought it was only me, Ive killed a few, but have one bugger thats been through the wars, took the same treatment as the others but soldiers on. I think there were a few flawed or dodgy batches.

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I also have a pretty similar question, but still can’t make a decision. To phrase the original question a different way, for those who have used both, what are the advantages of one another?

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I also have a pretty similar question, but still can’t make a decision. To phrase the original question a different way, for those who have used both, what are the advantages of one another?

Simply put you can remove more wood, faster, with the die grinder and appropriate bits. If you're carving big trees a dremel would take forever. If you have REALLY big trees you might start with an Arbortech mini grinder for shaping

( https://www.amazon.com/ARBORTECH-Gr...769&keywords=arbortech&qid=1700667262&sr=8-18)

then move to the die grinder.

If you need bigger than that, your probably chainsaw carving little bears in stumps.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I've killed two cordless rotaries (one cheap home-brand, one Dremel), they just burn out, overheat and drain the batteries after 2 minutes of use.

My corded Dremel on the other hand does great. My advice would be, whatever you choose, choose corded!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I settled on the two rotary tools that I didn't realize could be used, that I already had in my possession. A Rotozip and a mini router.

I'm using both with the Kutzall large and small, round rotary bits:

1700669103029.png

The large for removing a large amount of stock and the smaller for finer work:

Soon I'll probably buy one of the tapered ones to get into smaller areas:

1700669169196.png

I can't see why I would need anything other than this.

Moral of the story, is Dremmels and die grinders are not the only tools that can be used.

I think there's much more value in buying a mini variable speed router, with 1/8 and 1/4" coullets. Plenty horsepower and the variable speed covers detailed work right up to large stock removal. If your working on massive trees than maybe a die grinder is necessary but i don't know anything about that.

Last edited:

pandacular

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I saw several concerns about the relative safety of the two tools while searching online—namely that the Dremel is much safer, as a result of its lower torque and power. I would not consider myself proficient with power tools, and frankly I could stand to be more careful, so recognizing that, I think a Dremel might be a good choice for me until I get a good feel for it.

It also seems that the Dremel is more suited for fine detail work. I may use hand carving tools to do rough work then the Dremel for detail work.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I saw several concerns about the relative safety of the two tools while searching online—namely that the Dremel is much safer, as a result of its lower torque and power. I would not consider myself proficient with power tools, and frankly I could stand to be more careful, so recognizing that, I think a Dremel might be a good choice for me until I get a good feel for it.

It also seems that the Dremel is more suited for fine detail work. I may use hand carving tools to do rough work then the Dremel for detail work.
Yes, rotary tools can be extremely dangerous. I'm a wood worker so I take my tool proficiency for granted.

A Dremel does seem like the better tool for you.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I have both and I have used both on my trees.
Ill corroborate the comments that the die grinder is only really good for larger trees/projects where the dremel will take literally forever while the dremel works better for smaller trees/projects.
I also use the dremel to grind down my dogs nails instead of using a clipper. Works great for that too

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Simply put you can remove more wood, faster, with the die grinder and appropriate bits. If you're carving big trees a dremel would take forever. If you have REALLY big trees you might start with an Arbortech mini grinder for shaping

( https://www.amazon.com/ARBORTECH-Gr...769&keywords=arbortech&qid=1700667262&sr=8-18)

then move to the die grinder.

If you need bigger than that, your probably chainsaw carving little bears in stumps.
I bought the Arbortech two years ago. Some day I'll get it out of the box. Life was not normal for that period but it is returning to normal enough.

ABCarve

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
No one has mentioned a flexible shaft tool. In my opinion it’s the best of both worlds. It has the power and torque to run a nibbler and a small hand piece to allow for the smallest detail work.

Top Bottom