One way to create nebari

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks cool,Adair.I remember when you told me about that.It is nice to see how it turned out.I especially like to see how zelkova wood responds to techniques such as this.The base hase really flared.It seems I will be having some excess zelkova that are initially unusable and will go in the ground and then I was thinking of strangling a trunk section with wire and then letting the tree grow over the wire and bridge ,and then air layer just below the resulting bulge,for some flare on small bonsai.I seen it done to maples.

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do you think this will work on zelkova

Hey,Adair.This is what I was talking about.What are your thoughts with this technique for zelkova?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 118
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 116
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 116
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 116

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yeah, that ought to air layer just fine.

I think also, when I inserted the screw, it did expand the trunk a little. I buried it in soil, it's healed over. I see no scarring, but I do see significant flairing right at the base.

In my old bonsai publications, there are techniques illustrated where it shows a cartoon figures of someone driving a wedge up the bottom of a trunk to create more of a basal swell. My little tree was about the diameter of a sharpie at the base when I did it. It's probably twice that now.

Thinking about it, if I hadn't wanted to pot it, I could have removed the existing screw, and replaced it with a slightly fatter, and maybe longer one to further expand the trunk from the inside out. Then bury it back under the soil.

Hmmm... that's an idea!

As I stated in an earlier post, I'm planning to up pot after the show in May. I bet I will be able to get to the base of the trunk then. Drill out a new pilot hole, then insert new fatter, longer screw!

That's the new plan! Cool idea! Thanks!

(Eat your heart out, Dario! You aren't the only one willing to try new ideas!)

Last edited:

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes,I seen the wedge technique you mentioned in Koreshoff's book.Interesting stuff.I am trying to utilize all of the zelkova I sprout from seed ,as I grow about ten every season.Thanks for the post.

Last edited:

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes,I seen the wedge technique you mentioned in Koreshoff's book.Interesting stuff.I am trying to utilize all of the zelkova I sprout from seed ,as I grow about ten every season.Thanks for the post.

Cmeg they (zelkova) propagate real easy from the trimmings too. Usually needs no more than to be stuck in some soil and kept moist and they will root.

ed

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Back in the day, I got mine from cuttings.

Mwosje

Seed
Reaction score
Here is a zelkova I bought last year. I thought it had potential as a shohin. Got it home, found that the top was cute, but the roots were awful. Two layers of roots, no structure.

So, I cut off the bottom, heavier layer, leaving only a few fine hair roots. I screwed the bottom of the trunk onto a piece of plywood, spread the roots out, stuffed some sphagnum moss under the trunk, backfilled with Boon Mix.

Here's the before pic:
How will it drain with the wood over the drainage holes?

Mwosje

Seed
Reaction score
Right, but won’t water still pool on the wood? Could possibly give root rot.

Rid

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
For anyone interested, last years soil was Boon mix.

This year it's 1 part pumice (Dry Stall), 2 parts small akadama.

I will cover the soil surface with some sphagnum moss to keep heavy rains from disturbing the soil surface.
Can you tell me where to fine dry stall in Georgia?

Ridley

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Right, but won’t water still pool on the wood? Could possibly give root rot.
Could that happen? I suppose. But it doesn’t. Really, you’re just resisting learning a technique that is used to create some of the finest deciduous bonsai.

I’m sharing techniques used by the Japanese Masters. They won’t work if you don’t try them for yourself.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Call around the local weed and feed stores. I bought some years ago up in at a feed store in Canton somewhere. I bought 4 bags and still have 1+ left.
But dry stall is pretty small grained.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Re: Dry Stall, I've heard that the company went out of business. Their facebook page links a website that redirects to something that says I need to update my flash player.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Re: Dry Stall, I've heard that the company went out of business. Their facebook page links a website that redirects to something that says I need to update my flash player.
Don't click on any link on that page - it sounds like a phishing exploit.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
There is Dry Stall from a company in California - it is pumice. They also sell sifted pumice for horticultural purposes
There is Stall Dry from a company in Canada - it is fine grained DE, sold at Tractor Supply and other 'country stores'
There is Dry Stall USA on Facebook appears to just be a store in Anza, CA that sells yet another product called "Dry Stall" locally.

None of these appear to have quit doing business.

Top Bottom