Ongoing progress JH elm and crazy thought

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is one of my earliest living efforts, starting to get nice branching, but I've never liked its proportions. Think o ground layer above lowest branch is too severe??
I keep hanging on to the low branch, but I think it's out of scale - original thought was to carve there, but maybe making this tree more compact is better?

B

Attachments

• 68304F3E-FFCF-4A21-9AA3-F490524D3847.jpeg
    68304F3E-FFCF-4A21-9AA3-F490524D3847.jpeg
    188.5 KB · Views: 60
  • 7B3A36DE-BBA5-4FDC-9525-0778C9A6F94E.jpeg
    7B3A36DE-BBA5-4FDC-9525-0778C9A6F94E.jpeg
    329.5 KB · Views: 58
  • 85999CB1-6EDF-41DA-9AC4-DF534DDB5C7F.png
    85999CB1-6EDF-41DA-9AC4-DF534DDB5C7F.png
    118.9 KB · Views: 60

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I normally don't waste time layering common trees like elms but this time I agree with your plan.
The tree as it is is OK. You could persist with developing it as is but layering above the branch will give a good broom style small bonsai. The lower branch is thick and straight for a branch but is good proportion for second section of trunk so the stump may also make a good small bonsai.

Séan Warnick

Sapling
Reaction score
This is one of my earliest living efforts, starting to get nice branching, but I've never liked its proportions. Think o ground layer above lowest branch is too severe??
I keep hanging on to the low branch, but I think it's out of scale - original thought was to carve there, but maybe making this tree more compact is better?

B
I think it will be too severe. Why not opt for a larger imperial style bonsai tree? It would be a waste to lose that beautiful trunk.

brentwood

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it will be too severe. Why not opt for a larger imperial style bonsai tree? It would be a waste to lose that beautiful trunk.
That’s what has me pondering this, the trunk is really straight, just not interesting - my other plan involves carving where that bigger branch is, but I just think I’m still stuck with a tree that’s out of proportion. Maybe it’s a longer term problem

B

Séan Warnick

Sapling
Reaction score
That’s what has me pondering this, the trunk is really straight, just not interesting - my other plan involves carving where that bigger branch is, but I just think I’m still stuck with a tree that’s out of proportion. Maybe it’s a longer term problem

B
I don't think the trunk is too straight at all. Formal upright/Broom style are sophisticated styles for a reason, they are absolutely gorgeous when done right. And this tree has all the right things going for it.
My opinion is it's not the straightness that's the issue although it might seem that way, it's the lack of taper in the tree. There even seems to be some inverse taper around the apex where the 3 branches split unfortunately, which is why reducing the length of the trunk isn't a convincing solution to your problem.
Instead, why not grow out the bottom two branches severely over a few growing seasons while keeping the top very sparse. It will thicken out the base and create a beautiful taper which would look ulta realistic and incredibly interesting. Focus on developing the nebari, it would add wonders to visual aspect and in a few years I think it would look incredible.

Top Bottom