Online Retailers to Avoid

DrTolhur

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
There are obviously a number of readily-found online stores to buy bonsai trees. I'm wondering if there are any that would be better avoided. I'm specifically thinking of any that don't show the specific tree you're purchasing, and the one received was a let-down or didn't seem worth the price. I'm a little leery of buying a tree that I can't see first. So just curious if there are any patterns from those who have purchased online and would recommend not buying from.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
There is actually an area here for that.

Now, buying a tree site unseen is all on the one making the purchase. I may "date" myself. But as a child at the flea market they had a table of brown lunch sacks. With prizes in them...You could choose how much you wished to spend to get items. I never thought even as a child...it was something I wanted to do. I wanted to see what my money value purchased. I grew up very poor...so maybe that frivolous adventurous person didn't develop inside me. My money when I got it. Was pocket change...picking berries for my aunt who would sell them on a table out front of her home. Stuff like that... but many are happy with such a purchase. I prefer an image of what I am buying. But that's me...I like to find quirky character in my purchases. So when it sits along next to the other trees on my bench. They each stand apart and each has something unique that draws a person in. New guests...who find a favorite...then wait...another favorite down the line. Yeah...its fun watching.

As for buying sight unseen...that is a risk the buyer willingly takes. It is for some people. Not for me. With our hobby so focused on the ground up...nebari,taper, and such. It is a risk...but one they go in with eyes wide open.

Now, I've bought cuttings site unseen. But knew from the beginning of the sale it would go towards a cascade clump. I was aware I would be creating what I visually wanted.

20210227_213143.jpg

DrTolhur

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ah, thanks for pointing out the forum for that. Those words ("Vendor Experience") just didn't catch my attention in my search for this topic.
And yeah, I'm with you on the purchasing. I did buy a fukien tea last year (my first actual bonsai tree) unseen, and it wasn't a disaster by any means, but it did give me reason to prefer to see the actual tree before purchasing in the future.

Top Bottom