Online Shohin Class

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I took the online shohin class by Morten Albeck.
I do feel like I knew most of it already. I am a fan of his trees and his photography. Has anyone else watched this yet?
https://www.bonsaiempire.com/courses/shohin-course
He does repot about 5 shohin trees.
The way he repots is to do a larger particle drainage material on the bottom of the pot. Then he adds in his regular size mix. Then tops it with fine particles. He also adds a topping of organic soil and then moss on top.

I have never repotted like this so I am curious does the fine layers just fill in to the other layers? Does it just compact in to a huge mess? Does anyone here practice this type of layering for their soil?
It certainly works for him there’s no doubt about that.
After looking at 2 of my Suthin ficus I notice a lot more soil type ingredient than what I normally pot with. I am certain this is used because it is such a small potting area and they want to keep it from drying out.
I was an interesting course that I would recommend for anyone just starting out in the hobby.
There are a couple of free previews attached to this if you want to take a peek.

I did just purchase his book again also.
Majesty in miniature- this time I will hold on to my copy.
If I had the chance to meet him or watch a demo of his I would certainly take that opportunity.
I also did not know that his wife made scrolls- which I enjoyed learning.
82E72439-DE7E-4E17-B77A-58B915363DE2.jpeg

Edit- I could have chosen a better tree of his to share here but I really love this pot.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I have heard of layering grain size before, and not just shohin. I've not tried it, but I do use a larger drainage layer in my shohin (and actually everything) I do use straight shohin size akadama for everything in small pots, that helps with moisture, also I don't worry about moss on the top of the soil like I would a larger tree. I mean I'd just top it with sphagnum in summer anyway to help in the heat.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
And of course I spelled his name wrong- grr.
Sorry Mr. Albek
AD490744-0856-4981-B74B-A44BBF277C8B.png

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I do striate layers largest to smallest on big conifers in deep pots. I don’t bother with Shohin.

GGB

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
i do a drainage layer on all trees, but when I top the soil with moss i make sure the particles are one size ABOVE the soil particles so they dont get washed into the air pockets. Thats what ryan neil does, I think he's one of the best but I know everyone got their guy/gal and opinion on why they're the best

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I do not layer bonsai mix in any pots. Entire pot is filled with standard, coarse grain mix. Shohin mix is standard mix with the largest particles removed through 6mm? sieve.
As always, be prepared to try new ideas, but use what works for your cultivation techniques in your climate.

barrosinc

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I paid for over a year that course... didnt watch too many, and now it shows up on empire...

It was nice, but seems more focused now. Before videos were long with no definite purpose. I would have loved to enroll in this instead of the older ones.

Top Bottom