Online source for black pine pre-bonsai

David wv

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
I want to find a black pine that I can start the development stage on, for around $200 or less. It doesn't have to be huge but something that has mature bark or will start to developing good bark in a few years. Is this possible for that price and where from? I don't have any bonsai nurseries near me, that I know of. Adam's is the only one kind of close, I do want to visit him soon though. What do you all think of the dwarf cork bark Japanese black pine, international bonsai is offering this year. Is that a good deal?
I have a ton of trees but nothing that is near being ready to start refining. I want something I can start working with and seeing results, not just let grow out like most of the trees I have. I really want to get more into pines, I might could even go for a scots pine if it was nice enough. I know there are a ton of bonsai nurseries in California, does anyone know of a good place to get a nice pine like I am talking about, that I can order online. And if it was from California would it survive the change of environment from there to West Va.

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
Ed Clark I've heard his name tossed out when it comes to pine. I know @PaulH I believe made a treck to his nursery. He also ships from what I've heard.
Ed is a very nice guy. His Round Valley Nursery has hundreds of black pines , junipers, maples, etc. all grown specifically as quality pre bonsai.

David wv

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Ed Clark I've heard his name tossed out when it comes to pine. I know @PaulH I believe made a treck to his nursery. He also ships from what I've heard.
Thank you, I will look into it. I think I have seen something about him before, but I could not remember the name. Thanks.

D

Deleted member 32750

I want to find a black pine that I can start the development stage on, for around $200 or less. It doesn't have to be huge but something that has mature bark or will start to developing good bark in a few years. Is this possible for that price and where from? I don't have any bonsai nurseries near me, that I know of. Adam's is the only one kind of close, I do want to visit him soon though. What do you all think of the dwarf cork bark Japanese black pine, international bonsai is offering this year. Is that a good deal?
I have a ton of trees but nothing that is near being ready to start refining. I want something I can start working with and seeing results, not just let grow out like most of the trees I have. I really want to get more into pines, I might could even go for a scots pine if it was nice enough. I know there are a ton of bonsai nurseries in California, does anyone know of a good place to get a nice pine like I am talking about, that I can order online. And if it was from California would it survive the change of environment from there to West Va.
Personal I would recommend trying to stretch your budget a little more to get something like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-B...249307?hash=item1a96542f9b:g:pZkAAOSwM6hemojl

this tree is from the bonsai learning center in NC. I bought a black pine from them last year and it was in great health and I’ve been really happy with it. I actually almost bought this tree but bought my tree instead. This tree looks really good in person though, it has good bark developing which is what you are looking for. I think it would be hard to find something that you can start refining for under $200 when looking for a jbp.

the black pines from Adam’s bonsai are 4 years old or less and would fall more into the let it grow out category that you are trying to avoid. He does have some ~4 year partially trained literati jbp that are $45 that would be a good option if you are really trying to stay under that $200 Mark.

Maiden69

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How do you contact Ed Clark? I searched for his Round Valley Bonsai Nursery but nothing came up as far as a website. There is a Facebook page, but I don't have access at work.

David wv

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Personal I would recommend trying to stretch your budget a little more to get something like this https://www.ebay.com/itm/Japanese-B...249307?hash=item1a96542f9b:g:pZkAAOSwM6hemojl

this tree is from the bonsai learning center in NC. I bought a black pine from them last year and it was in great health and I’ve been really happy with it. I actually almost bought this tree but bought my tree instead. This tree looks really good in person though, it has good bark developing which is what you are looking for. I think it would be hard to find something that you can start refining for under $200 when looking for a jbp.

the black pines from Adam’s bonsai are 4 years old or less and would fall more into the let it grow out category that you are trying to avoid. He does have some ~4 year partially trained literati jbp that are $45 that would be a good option if you are really trying to stay under that $200 Mark.
You probably absolutely right, I am asking for too much of a tree for not enough money. Its hard to find a tree for that price, (unless it is someone trying to sell a very young tree for a crazy price) but I understand if I had a tree at that ($200) stage, I wanted to sell, I would just keep it for a few more years, put in the work and double or triple it's value.
I did buy a JWP on ebay a few days ago but haven't received it yet. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Massi...Yr/353436592043?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC. This is a similar listing (different tree) from the same seller. I thought it was a super good deal ($100 +shipping) but it may have been a big mistake. The listing before this one was a picture of several trees, so I don't know what I'll get but the seller did said his supplier grafted and grew them for bonsai use. I probably made a rookie mistake by buying something that I didn't know exactly what it looks like.
But anyways thanks for the advance. I did not know the bonsai learning center had a ebay store, another place I can keep my eye on, thanks.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
How do you contact Ed Clark? I searched for his Round Valley Bonsai Nursery but nothing came up as far as a website. There is a Facebook page, but I don't have access at work.
If you have messenger you could reach out through that back door through Facebook.

Top Bottom