Oof, snow storms already in MN!

Reaction score
Minnesota/Bay Area (depending on time of year)
USDA Zone
Anyone else in MN and a bit worried about their trees? It seems like we're going through many freeze-thaw circles this week (35s in the day, 25s in the night). We just had 9 inches of snow like yesterday. Not too sure how my maples will respond, but I'm definitely moving my trees into the garage when it dips to ~16 F tomorrow (that's what the forecast says anyway). Anyone else have other plans?

On the other hand, my young Katsura's looking really nice. Love those colors. However, leaves do look droopy. Maybe it's the excess snow?

Attachments

• 62508933358__062D4024-73BC-44B0-A0BB-F033B6BE1CC4.jpeg
    62508933358__062D4024-73BC-44B0-A0BB-F033B6BE1CC4.jpeg
    294.8 KB · Views: 40

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I shudder when I think of those upper MidWest early storms. I grew up in Northern Illinois, and remember having "white Halloween" more than once.

I am concerned that your maple leaves are wilting... versus turning colors as they go through the process of approaching winter dormancy. It appears this early cold has caught at least the tree in the photo by surprise.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I shudder when I think of those upper MidWest early storms. I grew up in Northern Illinois, and remember having "white Halloween" more than once.

I am concerned that your maple leaves are wilting... versus turning colors as they go through the process of approaching winter dormancy. It appears this early cold has caught at least the tree in the photo by surprise.

Yeah, no kidding. Is an emergency into-the-garage called for you think? I have a grow light, and maybe it'd prefer the constant 40-ish degrees in there... But I could be overcomplicating things and actually killing it with over-care.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

I grew up in Nebraska and when I was kid we had 3 or 4 Halloweens delayed due to big snow storms.

I'm in Utah now and we are hitting 24° tonight it looks like. Then back up to 50° during the day. It looks like that sort of cycle will repeat all week. I've got everything as ready as I can get it though. Hoping I don't have any issues!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I grew up in Nebraska and when I was kid we had 3 or 4 Halloweens delayed due to big snow storms.

I'm in Utah now and we are hitting 24° tonight it looks like. Then back up to 50° during the day. It looks like that sort of cycle will repeat all week. I've got everything as ready as I can get it though. Hoping I don't have any issues!
Best of luck to you and your trees!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Best of luck to you and your trees!
Thanks! I deconstructed a couple ghetto shelves and used the cinder blocks and 2x10s to create a box and filled that to the rims of the mostly nursery pots with pine shavings on bare ground so hopefully it can protect for the few hours at night its cold. Hopefully by next year I'll be able to setup a little greenhouse. This hobby really escalates. 😂

kale

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yeah, no kidding. Is an emergency into-the-garage called for you think? I have a grow light, and maybe it'd prefer the constant 40-ish degrees in there... But I could be overcomplicating things and actually killing it with over-care.
I think definitely put in the garage at night. With the warm temps during the day it isnt ready for that much cold yet.

Flowerhouse

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
35s in the day, 25s in the night
That's just normal fall weather. We had 3 days of freezing temps and 6 inches of snow in early September this year, so not a lot of fall colors here. I'm trying to avoid species that aren't hardy in my climate.
Oh, and Halloween costumes have to work with a parka, or not at all. :)

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Low of 57... high of 75 here today :) Of course, fall is the best time of year to be in North Carolina... Not much difference between here and SoCal at this time of year.

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I’m in St. Paul MN. I feel you!
I was able to put the smaller or more sensitive trees in the garage before the snow. the others are covered in slushy snow in the yard. I’m a little concerned, but what are you going to do? More snow in the forecast 🥺

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m in St. Paul MN. I feel you!
I was able to put the smaller or more sensitive trees in the garage before the snow. the others are covered in slushy snow in the yard. I’m a little concerned, but what are you going to do? More snow in the forecast 🥺

Ah, yes! I hope these guys make it. I just emergency-moved all my trees into the garage, and I have a small grow light that will hopefully get them through. I've also bought a bigger grow light that will hopefully sustain them for longer. Basically, the reverse two-step in the Spring!

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Ah, yes! I hope these guys make it. I just emergency-moved all my trees into the garage, and I have a small grow light that will hopefully get them through. I've also bought a bigger grow light that will hopefully sustain them for longer. Basically, the reverse two-step in the Spring!
I’m curious as if supplemental lighting for the plants at this point is beneficial.
Yes, most of the plants have a good deal of leaves on them yet, but has the plant triggered dormancy and therefore rendering the leaves inactive? Or is there still life/food transfer going on.
Wondering if I should put some grow bulbs in the garage at this point.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I’m curious as if supplemental lighting for the plants at this point is beneficial.
Yes, most of the plants have a good deal of leaves on them yet, but has the plant triggered dormancy and therefore rendering the leaves inactive? Or is there still life/food transfer going on.
Wondering if I should put some grow bulbs in the garage at this point.
My reason is that it can’t hurt. I also have noticed some trees definitely look like they haven’t gone into dormancy yet (full leaves). Most of them do have shriveled leaves though, so perhaps those don’t need light... either for dormancy or worse. But it can’t hurt!

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Hehe! It was snowing by me yesterday, also.

(nothing at all with “staying power”)
Looking at the forecast..... looks like it will b staying way longer than anticipated. A week with snow on the ground, is a week overstaying it’s welcome!😄 grrrrrrrr!!!BF4AF923-9558-400F-BE4A-70EDE87834C9.jpeg

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Looking at the forecast..... looks like it will b staying way longer than anticipated. A week with snow on the ground, is a week overstaying it’s welcome!😄 grrrrrrrr!!!View attachment 336127
Dang! It was at-the-most “slushy” here... and not for very long....

STALL IT BY YOU!

🤣🤣🤣

Top Bottom