open invitation northeast collecting trips

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wanted to send an open invitation to any members here who would be interested in getting out in the mountains for collecting. I am planning weekend trips around NY state, Vermont, New hampshire, and north o the border too! If anyone would like to get out for a day of hiking, and scouting trees, let me know! I just figured it could be a good adventure to share with other tree crazy people! My time living in the Rocky mtns has made me a fairly good beast of burden, so I can help others who might not consider collecting on more strenuous hikes.
Wilson

Tim.E

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I wanted to send an open invitation to any members here who would be interested in getting out in the mountains for collecting. I am planning weekend trips around NY state, Vermont, New hampshire, and north o the border too! If anyone would like to get out for a day of hiking, and scouting trees, let me know! I just figured it could be a good adventure to share with other tree crazy people! My time living in the Rocky mtns has made me a fairly good beast of burden, so I can help others who might not consider collecting on more strenuous hikes.
Wilson
If you ever decide to come up to Canada, let me know because I'd love to do a trip with you. I'm in southern ontario

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you ever decide to come up to Canada, let me know because I'd love to do a trip with you. I'm in southern ontario

Join a club, like Toronto bonsai society. We did a collection run this spring!

I believe he's in Quebec. I wonder how smuggling trees over the border will work for him. You know.. Once you get caught once and flagged. Well will be much more difficult in the future!

Why go to the states to collect Wilson? You live in Quebec!! You got helluva nice places to go and collect!! And you don't have to cross the border!

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Tim.E I am in for sure for a collecting trip! I have already spoken with the forestry agents in Ontario, and as a right you can collect trees on Crown land. I travel to Toronto all th time to visit family. Let me know if you would care to take a day before winter, to hike and scout an area.

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Tim.E I am in for sure for a collecting trip! I have already spoken with the forestry agents in Ontario, and as a right you can collect trees on Crown land. I travel to Toronto all th time to visit family. Let me know if you would care to take a day before winter, to hike and scout an area.

Actually not all crown land. You have to check with the ministry at the regional office pertaining to the region you're interested in collecting as some area are being rehabilitated and/or just not allowed to pillage.

The MNR website has each region divided with each regional office contact listed. So figure out where you want to go and contact accordingly. It's not a one size fits all.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@f1pt4 I do live in a great province, but I am a traveler! I have lived all over this country, and love to get out and hike around. I am heading to Mt.Mansfield next wknd, and maybe visit friends in southern Vermont after. The invitation to collect with my Murican brethren is more about camaraderie, and offering my help to hike out some beauty yamadori! The northern states have better mtns, and are closer to me then northern Qc.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey @f1pt4 is there an area you recommend, friendly to treehuggers? I have some friends around Peterborough, was also thinking up Huntsville way.

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@f1pt4 I do live in a great province, but I am a traveler! I have lived all over this country, and love to get out and hike around. I am heading to Mt.Mansfield next wknd, and maybe visit friends in southern Vermont after. The invitation to collect with my Murican brethren is more about camaraderie, and offering my help to hike out some beauty yamadori! The northern states have better mtns, and are closer to me then northern Qc.
Yes, but the border!!! The border!!! Phytos for collected trees? I dunno bout that!

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey @f1pt4 is there an area you recommend, friendly to treehuggers? I have some friends around Peterborough, was also thinking up Huntsville way.

Huntsville has a lot of forests. Not a lot of hills with outcrops. So basically spindly trees reaching for the sky. The nice spots around Huntsville with big lakes and rocks are in Algonquin park, so that's a no go. You'll probably have better luck in Peterborough and the Kawarthas. Check the crown land there. I've collected in both areas, but on private property with permission of course.

Do yourself a favour and collect around Labrador. Seriously.

f1pt4

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Huntsville has a lot of forests. Not a lot of hills with outcrops. So basically spindly trees reaching for the sky. The nice spots around Huntsville with big lakes and rocks are in Algonquin park, so that's a no go. You'll probably have better luck in Peterborough and the Kawarthas. Check the crown land there. I've collected in both areas, but on private property with permission of course.

Do yourself a favour and collect around Labrador. Seriously.

I should note, if you're into hiking go on one of those 10k hikes in algonquin. Some of the most amazing yamadori you'll ever see. Unfortunately, all you'll be able to do is look and get inspired because, well it's a provincial park.... Absolutely worth checking out though. Especially in the fall!!!!

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Absolutely @Wilson im right there in Maine. Im all about scouting trips whenever your ready I'll try to make it out. I know a few spots in massachusetts where the scots pine hangout, and also where the larch bogs in Maine are. However some hikes in the white mts of new Hampshire ought to let us find some nice old mountain material. You say when and I'm down. I'd bet @Nwaite would follow me out

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Soldano666 I would love to check out the White mtns, I will check my weekends with my lady and the kids and get back to you. I can message you to see what weekend works for you, and for sure if @Nwaite wants to get out that's great!

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
When. I was about 12 my uncle and me drove up my Washington in nh. Of course karate kid was a huge part of my growing up, he spotted "bonsai" and we proceeded to dig some up with out permission and brought em home . Needless to say they ended up dying not long after, not that I'm an advocate for digging without permission but it was really easy. Now that I've acquired the knowledge needed I'm about ready to give it another shot. Id like to add some real mountian trees to my collection.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When. I was about 12 my uncle and me drove up my Washington in nh. Of course karate kid was a huge part of my growing up, he spotted "bonsai" and we proceeded to dig some up with out permission and brought em home . Needless to say they ended up dying not long after, not that I'm an advocate for digging without permission but it was really easy. Now that I've acquired the knowledge needed I'm about ready to give it another shot. Id like to add some real mountian trees to my collection.

Awesome! I look forward to get to see some new mountain views, and scope out some choice trees! How is the permit process in state forests?

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Awesome! I look forward to get to see some new mountain views, and scope out some choice trees! How is the permit process in state forests?
I'm not sure, I've never dealt with it. Most of what I have collected has been off from friends properties. Something I could look into but I bet its tough. Everyone in new England feels the need to preserve everything and most of the accessible areas are state parks or some sort of exsisting forest preserve.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So it seems like it should be quite easy to get a permit for trees in white mountain state forest. I am stoked to check out a trail map tomorrow morning with a coffee.

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
So it seems like it should be quite easy to get a permit for trees in white mountain state forest. I am stoked to check out a trail map tomorrow morning with a coffee.
Yessss. I've been looking at mountains above tree line here in Maine online theres only a few but I might take a couple hours drive this week and see how close I can get. This is going to be fun

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I was checking out Mt. Adams, looks like a real nice hike! http://thepeakseeker.com/routes/airline-route-mount-adams/ as I mentioned above, I am supposed to head to Mt. Mansfield in Vt next weekend with my girlfriend. I share custody of my kids, so I have every other weekend to plan adventures for my own interests. The weekend of September 9th would probably be the next one I can plan a hiking trip, so any interested people can chime in!

Soldano666

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5is
Next weekend Is a little soon, I have the same split weekends with the boy and VT is quite a hike for me. Seems like I'm close being in Maine but its hourssss, there are no highways that cut straight thru, I wish they'd make one. They made one thru the Rockies for efs sake.
Sept 9 or 10 would be ideal, I can't do Sunday the 11th @Wilson

Top Bottom