Opinion on Siberian Larch for potential bonsai

PierreR

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2a
I visited my favorite local nursery today, as they had new stock in. Because of a couple recent posts, I was looking for tamarack/larch. I saw these off to the side, not yet put in its appropriate viewing location, and thought to myself. this is a sweet looking little tree!

This one was about 2" at the base, 24" tall maybe? Lots of branches growing from all over the trunk, not from rings like pine or spruce.

D388E5D0-E005-45BE-86CE-B5E8244F1303_zpsabdg2oh2.jpg

some more info. Actually recommended for my area!!
http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex1008
https://www.ag.ndsu.edu/trees/handbook/th-3-159.pdf

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
If you've got a plan for dealing with the straight-as-a-pin trunk, go for it.

If the trunk is flexible, you can entertain bending/twisting it into an interesting shape; else you'll likely end up having to chop it. I've only played with Japanese larch - branches quickly become quite brittle. So, I think this one likely will amount to the purchase of a stump with roots and a few branches from which you will developing a bonsai for the next several (>5) years. Not that there is anything wrong with that, just be conscious of what you are committing yourself to, before you dive in.

Have fun!

crust

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3A
I didn't like them-- gets fart in the heat, biggeer needle, bugs liked um. American Larch much better IMO.

PierreR

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2a
I want to go hunting for tamarack, but its a 2 hour drive from here to get into decent areas. Some of the best I have seen are on the air weapons range. Did a lot of surveying there... Lots of floating peat bogs and bloody mosquitoes big enough to set off the DEW line radars!
The American variety, I haven't seen them around here yet.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Tamaracks grow in the same general areas you find Cedars and Balsam fir. They don't necessarily have to be growing in a bog.
The first trick to spotting any tree you want to collect is familiarize yourself with what the tree looks like in all phases of growth. Close up and far away. Leaves on or leaves off. What color the leaves on a tree are in the fall helps. Know what the bark looks like. And look in locations where they are most likely to grow.
It doesn't take too much time to learn these things especially if you get yourself a book on trees. Once you do you will see trees suitable for bonsai that are native to your area all the time.
Tamaracks are easy to spot in the fall. They turn a nice gold color. Look like spruces or firs at a distance. In winter they look like a dead fir with no needles.
Get out there and start trying to find trees now. That way in the spring you can go right to them. Mark them with ribbon or way point them on a handheld GPS. With the GPS unit you can go deep 8nto the wilderness with no fear of getting lost.

PierreR

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2a
Thanks Mike!! I know the tree very well! I grew up on the east coast, they were everywhere! Also as a surveyor for 20 years in the oil patch here in Alberta, I have slashed (chainsaw) through miles of them!
No cedars grow here, lots of spruce, black and white, the odd wild fir, and pines, poplar, aspen are abundant, some birch. To get to them though, I need to get out of the agricultural prairie!:) The Boreal forest starts about an hour or so north of here, there are still some freehold grazing blocks there, but to get onto public land, I'd need to go a bit further. That is where the bogs/muskeg seems to get heavier. Thus my reference.
You did however answer my next question, and that was when the best time to collect was. Would these trees (tamarack/spruce) have enough time to recover is collected this time of year? I assume not so much?
Thanks for the response! I appreciate it!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've never collected one this time of year. I've heard it can be done though. They are tough.
I would take that bear with me when I go out collecting.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The scale requires it to be a bigger tree. The buds are 5 times bigger than a regular larch. Mine didn't seem to do healthy in the pot. I put it back in the ground to get healthy and grow out a fat trunk. I will try again in a oversized pot at some point in the future. If you have other American tamarack you have to think a little different with these.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think I'll be sticking with the regular model Tamaracks from here.

PierreR

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
2a
Thanks for the advice gents. As much as I like the look of this tree, maybe I'll wait till spring and go Tamarack hunting before the bears wake up! :D Hate for them to think I was digging up their breakfast!!

Top Bottom