Opinions about simple beginner substrate

Reaction score
I want to have a simple solution for substrate for several plants which are on the way from m Etsy (got carried away way too early in the hobby). I was considering getting one of the more expensive inorganic pre made mixes, just for the time being. However, it did not seem the nursery I bought from use anything like that

So I am thinking of a simple approach for now. I will use Miracle Gro cactus and succulent substrate, which resembles the substrate from the nursery, and add some perlite. If this’ll work, should I go half and half?

If this mix will work, are there any other important additions, like inexpensive Akadama substitute, Pumice, and lava rock (lave rock should be finest possible?)

So I mainly need to know if the cactus mix with perlite will work for now.

Beyond that, what should be added? (Or subtracted if the cactus mix and perlite aren’t advisable). Please keep in mind that cactus mix-like mixture was from a highly reputable nursery!

Thank you all in advance, for any recommendations 😊

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
What plant species? Generally speaking, don't transplant too early. You should probably be looking at late Feb / early Mar.

If it isn't too far, consider driving to House of Bonsai in Lakewood and buying pre-made bonsai soil. If you want to screen and make your own, you can buy large qty of pumice from OC Farm Supply up in Orange to use as your base, and then shop around for lava and akadama. Mention that you belong to the Orange County Bonsai Society for a 10% discount. I know there are also a couple of guys selling pumice and black lava up in Fullerton. They usually post on Craigslist. Akadama is the main product you will have to buy retail, since it is all imported.

There is an art to transplanting bonsai. You may want to watch the Mirai Beginner Series Video - episode nine - where they talk about transplanting.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You will be a lot better off with pumice rather than perlite if these are going in a bonsai pot or training pot. Perlite floats to the top when you water and is kind of a mess in bonsai pots. Perlite is great in a mix for propagating and growing on.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do not overthink. Most species do not require much above being well draining.

Top Bottom