Opinions for new Boxwood pot?

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I repotted this tree in this pot last year. Immediately I knew it was too deep and visually ate up the tree. The pot prior was 1.5 inches from feet to lip, the green pot was 2.5 inches. After my visit to Sara's today she sent me home to try out this yellow pot. So...

Does a yellow pot go well with a boxwood? Packers fans are exempt from voting.

This pot is 2 inches deep. Should I wait for her to build me a shallow pot or go for the gold?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 96
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.2 KB · Views: 87
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Go over to BSG, there is a new post with a boxwood in a creamy yellow pot, it looks great.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think yellow and cream are the best colors for pots for boxwood. Go for it.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    188.6 KB · Views: 62

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Man I frickin' love the original pot. BTW, the pots both look a little large for the tree.

ed

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I confess it doesn't take much to motivate me to use a new pot. Attached is the repot. Ed I appreciate your critique about pot size. I am going for a tree on the grossly knoll type of look. It's one if those moments where people/ masters ask me to move away from, but I really like the look. If I ever sell it, it probably would be better received in a smaller pot, centered.

I like what I like, what can I say!! I do wish the pot was 1.5 inches instead of two. The original 1.5 inch pot is in my photo album on my page.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So I confess it doesn't take much to motivate me to use a new pot. Attached is the repot. Ed I appreciate your critique about pot size. I am going for a tree on the grossly knoll type of look. It's one if those moments where people/ masters ask me to move away from, but I really like the look. If I ever sell it, it probably would be better received in a smaller pot, centered.

I like what I like, what can I say!! I do wish the pot was 1.5 inches instead of two. The original 1.5 inch pot is in my photo album on my page.

Looks nice, you should have just said you were into Penjing. :)

ed

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What am I thinking!! After a night to mull it over... I scoured the internet and found a 10x8x1.5. Grassy knoll doesn't mean city park!!

Last edited:

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Man I frickin' love the original pot. BTW, the pots both look a little large for the tree.

ed

Ed,

Thanks for being honest with me. I know I can come across as someone who isn't listening. I was trying to talk myself into being okay with this pot. Your honesty gave me the chance to quit defending what wasn't right and pointed out by you.

Thanks, and I have a new pot on the way, and a great yellow pot to be used later.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
1. I liked the yellow, tried to talk myself into it. In the end it was just too big.

2. Got a new pot. Koyo dark green glaze with some light green accents that will look better outside.

3. New home, much better scale, pot doesn't swallow the tree.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    194.3 KB · Views: 19
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 43

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Much better scale, and I like this pot. I have blue under mine too, they seem to like that color.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like the lighter color of the other pot, but the overall size of the newer pot fits the tree better. I don't care for the mounded look though. Maybe you could reduce the roots to have it sit flatter in the pot next year.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When I first started putting trees in nice pots, I dreamed of a day when I had options. Be careful what you wish for.

I do agree that the rock that used to be more hidden is now a little much. I also think that if I take out the rock this tree again goes back to being too small for the pot.

I have two other smaller pots. The square Koyo or the oval porcelain Sara Pot. Leaning towards yellow but don't want it to be too small.

What's wrong with me. Being indecisive is not the norm!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 28

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I like the lighter color of the other pot, but the overall size of the newer pot fits the tree better. I don't care for the mounded look though. Maybe you could reduce the roots to have it sit flatter in the pot next year.
I'm actually a fan of the mounded look. I think this pot suits the tree better. Nice job.

Top Bottom