Opinions needed on this collected crape myrtle

AaronG

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'd like to get some opinions on this crape myrtle yamadori. I bought it from a nursery as potensai about 12 years ago, and decided to collect it yesterday. I don't remember the variety, but I do remember purchasing it because the trunk color and mottling was reportedly excellent and the leaf size was on the small side for the species.

I am wondering if the chop looks good or maybe I should cut it back more for it to heal correctly? I tried to leave a bit of length on the main trunk so the tree has some stored energy to help survive the transplant, but probably could have left more. So does this have good potential? And if so, did I execute the trunk chop well?

View media item 5121
View media item 5122

Last edited:

AaronG

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks for the replies. I took a closer look at the trunk this morning and what looks like water draining from that wound is actually a crack in the trunk. I probably pressed a little too hard on the branch while cutting and it split. Any advice on how to help that heal? Is there anything I can do since it has been a couple of days since the injury? I thought about sealing and I thought maybe wrapping the trunk in raffia, but I have no idea if those will just make it worse.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I’d go here too. Then the front would probably be chosen by placing both cuts at the back.
FBD5CA93-E26E-468E-9C41-4AF01A232F7A.jpeg

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
I’ll add that I have one CM collected from a seedling which grew strong and trunked up relatively quickly in the ground, but stalled to a crawl when I potted it. I wasn’t happy with the trunk for the 3 years it was in a pot, and finally got wise and stuck it back in the ground last summer. This spring, I’ll chop it pretty low, wire some movement into the resulting new growth, and work to thicken them up some before re-collecting and potting it again.

AaronG

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks Brian, I actually had chopped it in the ground with that idea in mind and ended up digging it up after reading a thread here where several members indicated they didn't have a lot of success with chopping in the field. This very well could go back in the ground next year if it survives.

Top Bottom