Opinions on height of chop for broom

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Everyone.
I've been growing this Chinese elm on for some years now....wanting to make a split/twin branch broom. It has a decent nebari going, and the time is right now.
I dug, did the root work and planted it yesterday. Now, looking at it, i'm not sure if I have the two main branches are at the right length/height. Something says to me they might be a bit to long....?
How is that length measured in any case?
Opinions plz.
IMG_20220824_102746.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220824_102805.jpg
    IMG_20220824_102805.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 78

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
they do look a tad long yes. long straight bits over an inch long dont always look good. maybe measure them and take a little more off each if youre confident theyll bud from the cuts as elms usually do. but you should know your tree. Markys chuhin broom thread is also a good reference for this type of dilemma. as is this one https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/hackberry-celtis-africana-dug-up-and-potted-2016.37018/

Attachments

• 48031595917_6169a0d542_o.jpg
    48031595917_6169a0d542_o.jpg
    321.4 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
they do look a tad long yes. long straight bits over an inch long dont always look good. maybe measure them and take a little more off each if youre confident theyll bud from the cuts as elms usually do. but you should know your tree. Markys chuhin broom thread is also a good reference for this type of dilemma. as is this one https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/hackberry-celtis-africana-dug-up-and-potted-2016.37018/
Thanks Bobby. I looked for buds and drew a line...to make the most of them....you agree?
Looks more balanced now....I think.
It has some decent taper as can be seen from the side shot. Plan is to do the hose clamp thing on them.
IMG_20220824_124916.jpgIMG_20220824_124925.jpgIMG_20220824_124936.jpg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
It does not matter where external buds/nodes are when chopping elms. Chinese elm bud from cambium so you can expect a whole ring of new shoots right around the edges of both cuts. That's the real reason for the hose clamp - lots of new shoots will quickly cause swelling which the hose clamp restricts.

Personally The current length is not too bad but would depend on the final height.
I generally work on thirds. First fork at 1/3 finished height and subsequent forks at 1/3 of the previous section right through to the apex.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thanks Bobby. I looked for buds and drew a line...to make the most of them....you agree?
Looks more balanced now....I think.
It has some decent taper as can be seen from the side shot. Plan is to do the hose clamp thing on them.
View attachment 452960View attachment 452961View attachment 452962
Looks good.
have you decided whether youre growing one from one or two from one? in the elm example i showed you there are stubs with one from one and a slanted cut or two from one with a straight cut, i think this makes a difference to the final outcome. you can see this also in the link i shared. hope that helps.

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks good.
have you decided whether youre growing one from one or two from one? in the elm example i showed you there are stubs with one from one and a slanted cut or two from one with a straight cut, i think this makes a difference to the final outcome. you can see this also in the link i shared. hope that helps.
Funny you mention that. I always contemplate ones and twos. I'm guilty of wanting to many twos to early actually.
It does make a difference. Getting that balance is key.

YukiShiro

Chumono
Reaction score
Hennops River Valley,Gauteng,South Africa
USDA Zone
8b
Hey Herman. Goed om jou te hoor. All good with you over there in the Motherland?
Hey Boet, gaan punt in die wind!

we having quite a bit of fun here in SA...nationwide strikes, power grid failing...
otherwise, my bonsai are growing so I'm happy :D

you mate?

beste groete
Herman

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Boet, gaan punt in die wind!

we having quite a bit of fun here in SA...nationwide strikes, power grid failing...
otherwise, my bonsai are growing so I'm happy :D

you mate?

beste groete
Herman
All good here Bru. The trees are budding and the spirit is high.
Yeah I heard they're up to it again over there....burning and plundering the country.
You know, I was thinking yesterday...a few years after they came to power, and the signs started to appear that their governance would be chaotic, I remember one of them saying on TV, they are still inexperienced. They'll get better, he said.
Its been 30yrs....THIRTY YEARS my maat. And its been getting worse by the year. I seriously don't think its a question of them being slow learners....:mad:
Its unsettling...to say the least. I seriously feel for the people of that beautiful country.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi Everyone.
I've been growing this Chinese elm on for some years now....wanting to make a split/twin branch broom. It has a decent nebari going, and the time is right now.
I dug, did the root work and planted it yesterday. Now, looking at it, i'm not sure if I have the two main branches are at the right length/height. Something says to me they might be a bit to long....?
How is that length measured in any case?
Opinions plz.
View attachment 452941
Really digging this pot, is it a brake drum or is it ceramic?

Top Bottom