Opinions on re-doing a trident maple chop in late August.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My back still hurts this morning, and even with the die grinder and sawz-all, it still took me over 2 hours from start to finish, but I was actually able to brush my teeth this morning without help from my wife:rolleyes:.
You brush your teeth?

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
yep, all 7 of them!
Get some of them store bought some made from porcelain and you can sell the power tools.
Just gnaw away like a beaver.
Then hose them off at night.
That's quite the trunk if you need to suspend it from a rope.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Get some of them store bought some made from porcelain and you can sell the power tools.
Just gnaw away like a beaver.
Then hose them off at night.
That's quite the trunk if you need to suspend it from a rope.
It's heavy...I'd guess 15 or 20 pounds after the bare rooting. The real reason I suspended it like that was to keep the trunk and branching from being beaten to hell while I worked the roots... I'm not big enough to one hand a reciprocating saw or die grinder.

Djtommy

Omono
Reaction score
Damn you went hard on that. Better make sure the soil doesnt dry out anytime soon.
I sure hope it will be ok.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hope you don't mind me asking. How much is that tree cost? I have seen your work on repotting your Japanese maple... But it would be sux if it didn't make it because of too much root work.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
There is a lot you can do to a trident as far as root work that you could not do to any other maple. They regenerate roots better than anything else I've ever seen. When I had to repot my big one, and did more than I expected to get it in the pot, I sweated it out for a couple weeks...

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hope you don't mind me asking. How much is that tree cost? I have seen your work on repotting your Japanese maple... But it would be sux if it didn't make it because of too much root work.
I'll send you a pm about the price... and don't worry about this one...it has a will to live!!

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
There is a lot you can do to a trident as far as root work that you could not do to any other maple. They regenerate roots better than anything else I've ever seen. When I had to repot my big one, and did more than I expected to get it in the pot, I sweated it out for a couple weeks...
Yeah, there are plenty of roots left on this one, and I'm not worried about it's survival... assuming I don't leave it outside one night when it dips down below freezing:eek:. I suspect it will push some small runners, sit for a bit, then really get going by mid April. At next year's re-pot, I'll hopefully have more roots in the right places to work with.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Here is a picture of a rig we used at Boon's to hold my big olive when we were working the bottom. You can't see the ceiling, but there's an exposed beam, with a hole drilled thru. We ran a strap thru the hole, then under the trunk when we tipped the tree over.

IMG_0073.JPG

We took turns chiseling out about two inches of wood out from under the trunk! That's Daisaku Nomoto with the tree, and Paul Kellum laying out the chisels.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hanging them up sure looks like it's a whole lot easier on the tree than laying it on its side on a bench and thrashing it around.
I'll be building me a little gallows on my bench first thing in the spring to hang them from.
Thanks for the great idea guys!

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hanging them up sure looks like it's a whole lot easier on the tree than laying it on its side on a bench and thrashing it around.
I'll be building me a little gallows on my bench first thing in the spring to hang them from.
Thanks for the great idea guys!
Yes, when laying them on their sides, make sure the limbs hang over the edge of the work surface. So that you're not crushing the limbs as you work the roots.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, when laying them on their sides, make sure the limbs hang over the edge of the work surface. So that you're not crushing the limbs as you work the roots.
Oh I know.
Boy do I know.
I usually one hand the things but this will be so much easier.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
What a great sight is is to see the leaves pop out! Next up, more roots!

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The new leaves look full of energy. Beautiful.

Top Bottom