Opinions on the best front

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Since I bought this tree 5 years ago the front has always been the side where the roots cross. I've never really liked that, I noticed this year that maybe the backside would be a better front.
The tree is at the wrong angle to be okay right now. I would have to regrow the top to finish out the right way. I figure it's easier to grow a new top than to reconfigure the roots. Any opinions?

This year I have the tiniest leaves I've ever seen on this tree!!

Photo Mar 04, 10 43 24 AM.jpgPhoto Mar 04, 10 43 40 AM.jpg

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Have you considered and checked the current left as front? (or a few degrees around that side. There might be a better view from there...even if you have to sacrifice or shorten or relocate the branch going that way.

As it is, I like to explore other front as well...just not convinced the back is it.

Just a thought.

johng

Omono
Reaction score
fronts seem to always be evolving...that I said, I think your back view would not make a good front because of the 2 diagonal roots at the bottom of the stone...for me, they make it appear like the tree is balancing on the point of the stone and as such it appears unstable...keep looking:)

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
The first picture. The rock and roots are most visible/visually appealing.

davetree

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First pic and get rid of the crossing root over time. You won't miss it. I have one like it and I moved the roots around and cut a few off. Is this a Catlin elm ?

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
First pic and get rid of the crossing root over time. You won't miss it. I have one like it and I moved the roots around and cut a few off. Is this a Catlin elm ?

When I bought it, it was sold as a Chinese Elm. Is Catlin Elm a variety of Chinese Elm? It's leaf size was the same as another Chinese elm I have. I do trim this one more than the other, it also gets more sun than the other. Living here is a cool climate means I can give some things more hours of sun that maybe even you can down in the cities.

I know all my trimming has produced a large volume of buds. It seems to make sense that the tree has only so much energy to give. So many growth points that the leaves are getting quite small. Three years ago the leaves were the same size as my other Chinese elm, now they are half the size, but seemingly very healthy.

Now just to fix the root!!

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got a new pot for this tree in 2014. Super shallow and I went away from the cream color as it was too much like the rock. The shallow pot really seems to set it off.

I did a hard pruning on the top as I think it needs to get reworked a bit.

Attachments

• Chinese Elm 2014 New Pot.jpg
    Chinese Elm 2014 New Pot.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 44

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I got a new pot for this tree in 2014. Super shallow and I went away from the cream color as it was too much like the rock. The shallow pot really seems to set it off.

I did a hard pruning on the top as I think it needs to get reworked a bit.
I really like the pot as well as the stand as it compliments the tree and stone. Actually a well composed photo in my opinion. And as Dav4 pointed out, Chinese elm.

Ulmus parvifolia, var 'Catlin', is a sport of the common Chinese elm. It is
partly evergreen in mild climate and evergreen in the south. Its leaves are a
1/4" to 3/4" long and are a shiny dark green, lanceolate and smaller than
zelkova. John Catlin, a landscape designer in California, found this sport on
an Ulmus parvifolia or Chinese elm in a nursery in about 1953. Jim Barrett
named it Catlin Elm to honor the man who found it and to separate it from
the Chinese elm.

Bibliography:
USDA Fact Sheet ST - 652

Compiled by Thomas L. Zane

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really like the pot as well as the stand as it compliments the tree and stone. Actually a well composed photo in my opinion. And as Dav4 pointed out, Chinese elm.

Ulmus parvifolia, var 'Catlin', is a sport of the common Chinese elm. It is
partly evergreen in mild climate and evergreen in the south. Its leaves are a
1/4" to 3/4" long and are a shiny dark green, lanceolate and smaller than
zelkova. John Catlin, a landscape designer in California, found this sport on
an Ulmus parvifolia or Chinese elm in a nursery in about 1953. Jim Barrett
named it Catlin Elm to honor the man who found it and to separate it from
the Chinese elm.

Bibliography:
USDA Fact Sheet ST - 652

Compiled by Thomas L. Zane

I have several Catlin elms and the leaf size has never been larger than 1/4" inch. Usually they are 1/4" down to the size of Seiju elm leafs when trimmed and regrown in light. They are less stiff branches than a Seiju and can be bent and wired with less breakage.

ed

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Fourteener,

I like the 1st picture as the front, but think the tree needs to get shorter.

Please consider cutting back to either the first branch on the left or go crazy and go back to the first branch on the right.

Regards,
Martin

CHUCHIN

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Definitely first picture...YOu get to see what this display is really about "Root over Rock"...

Best,

Top Bottom