Opinions on these plastic pots?

zanduh

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi Everyone,

Before posting this I did a ton of reading on this forum from the many thread arguments that happened between 2013 and 2017. Is there a consensus of which of the following plastic pots would provide the best environment for trunk and nebari development (I'd be combining with the Ebihara method)? I know growing in the ground is better but I currently don’t have that option.

Anderson Flat TRAY5

Pond Basket

Colander (21.75 x 17 x 5)
https://sparrowfoodsolutions.com/du...Toiw1rxn0RqphosjmCoKraK5HuMXj6e0aAmypEALw_wcB

There’s also this air pot tray but it’s crazy expensive...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5 years in and even the ones with broken un - UV protected zipties work without the zipties.

Investments are investments are investments.

Johnson and Johnson is hovering because though sanitizer sales are up. Tooth whitener sales are down!

Sorce

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
What kind and size of tree(s) are you talking about?

zanduh

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I think I’m going to go with the colander. It’s like an air pruning anderson flat

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi Everyone,

Before posting this I did a ton of reading on this forum from the many thread arguments that happened between 2013 and 2017. Is there a consensus of which of the following plastic pots would provide the best environment for trunk and nebari development (I'd be combining with the Ebihara method)? I know growing in the ground is better but I currently don’t have that option.

Anderson Flat TRAY5

Pond Basket

Colander (21.75 x 17 x 5)
https://sparrowfoodsolutions.com/du...Toiw1rxn0RqphosjmCoKraK5HuMXj6e0aAmypEALw_wcB

There’s also this air pot tray but it’s crazy expensive...

I use anderson trays a lot as my first training pot for large trees before moving them gradually into smaller pots
The pond baskes are also used as smaller training pots by many people.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Much cheaper to buy these. https://www.homedepot.com/p/TOTALPOND-10-in-Square-Aquatic-Plant-Basket-52252/202017092 I wish they were more shallow, maybe 4 inch. They also go brittle for me after a few years. I use them often though, hard to beat the price and functionality.
Those are nice but they are pretty small so only good for smaller trees. Sometimes you need something bigger around 15 inches or so for a larger tree to start the process of root reduction/development

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I use the pond baskets. Get them for about $1.50 each. If you're using the Ebihara method you'll want some volume below the board where you're roots can stretch out and populate. You don't need a shallow container since you'll be pruning at the edge of the board each spring.

Timbo

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Those are nice but they are pretty small so only good for smaller trees. Sometimes you need something bigger around 15 inches or so for a larger tree to start the process of root reduction/development
Yeah, I just meant if you are needing cheap pots for growing, I could use several 15+ inch pots this coming year. Rectangle pond baskets would be nice. ;)

Top Bottom