Opinions on this Trident maple for sale at my local store

sean_

Seed
Reaction score
1627752396709.png1627752421882.png
Im thinking of buying this tree just wanted your opinion. Asking price is £210, London area

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wecome aboard BNut!

Personally, I'd pass. Especially if you are just starting out.

It is really Interesting.... yet a little too abstract for my tastes. Also the lower trunk style appears to have a real personality clash with the vertically inclined fat branch junction in right in the middle. Its almost like the owner changed their mind on style in the middle of the growing process.

My vote. Save the £210 and get a couple younger nicely designed maples to improve.

PS. Please put your approximate location & USDA zone on your icon by double clicking your icon and adding this data. This will help you in the future to link with others in the UK and also for us to tailor our advice to your area. ;)

Cheers
DSD sends

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The price is comparable to similar trees in the U.S.

It's got something going on and doesn't seem in the best health. The leaves look a bit beat up or fried (not enough water or too much sun?)

I'd probably pass and pick something that looked healthier honestly

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
In the UK and mainland europe, these are planted as hedges a lot. It's fairly easy to find good specimens for super low prices, especially if you're willing to dig them up.
I suggest putting an ad up on a local website or something, maybe contact a couple gardening companies. They'll probably gladly help you out.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looks a little fungusy which probably isn't a huge deal, but I don't like that trunk. Hard pass for me.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In the UK and mainland europe, these are planted as hedges a lot. It's fairly easy to find good specimens for super low prices, especially if you're willing to dig them up.
tbh, I have NEVER seen these as hedges, and never seen them for sale for reasonable prices.

That being said, I do not really like the looks of this particular plant, and would pass on it, certainly at that pricepoint.
Check with bonsai plaza. THey might still ship to the UK and often have a range of tridents in all sorts of pricepoints. Typically their pricing is fair for the mid-to-high quality trees.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
View attachment 389121View attachment 389122
Im thinking of buying this tree just wanted your opinion. Asking price is £210, London area
Hi Sean,

whereabouts in London are you and are you specifically looking for a trident maple? I’ve got a few available. Also a nice cork bark elm which is really easy to look after.

let me know.
Ben

SeanS

Omono
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE)
USDA Zone
9b
Wecome aboard BNut!

Personally, I'd pass. Especially if you are just starting out.

It is really Interesting.... yet a little too abstract for my tastes. Also the lower trunk style appears to have a real personality clash with the vertically inclined fat branch junction in right in the middle. Its almost like the owner changed their mind on style in the middle of the growing process.

My vote. Save the £210 and get a couple younger nicely designed maples to improve.

PS. Please put your approximate location & USDA zone on your icon by double clicking your icon and adding this data. This will help you in the future to link with others in the UK and also for us to tailor our advice to your area. ;)

Cheers
DSD sends
I think the vertical branch in the middle right is another tree behind the main trident

sean_

Seed
Reaction score
I think the vertical branch in the middle right is another tree behind the main trident
Yeah sorry my fault for the bad picture but i think that is another tree

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
So it is really hard to give meaningful opinions from photos that don't really show the tree or the structure.
Spiral trunks don't do anything for me, especially if topped by a straight section. This one also appears to have 2 distinct layers of foliage so it is probably missing some middle layer branches.

I would not bother with what I can see but then I have plenty of good trees already and first choice of some good stock as it develops. Everyone has different standards and needs. you really need to make the decision for yourself based on your needs and what you can actually see in the trunk and branches.

Adding a location to your profile will help others with better advice based on your area. saves us having to reread the whole thread to find out where.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
tbh, I have NEVER seen these as hedges, and never seen them for sale for reasonable prices.

That being said, I do not really like the looks of this particular plant, and would pass on it, certainly at that pricepoint.
Check with bonsai plaza. THey might still ship to the UK and often have a range of tridents in all sorts of pricepoints. Typically their pricing is fair for the mid-to-high quality trees.
You're right. I mistook them for A. buergeranium.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I do not really like the looks of this particular plant, and would pass on it

I don't really like it either. It looks like someone took a seedling and wrapped it around a stick, let it grow, and then chopped it. The movement appears (to me) unnatural, and there is no taper. And don't forget the golden rule of bonsai - start with the bottom and work up. Poke the soil and check out the base of the trunk and the surface roots! If the trunk goes straight down into the ground like a telephone pole, and has a large tap root with few/no radial surface roots, I would look for a different tree.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
this would be a Japanese import, in this price range and size, many of them look like this. you just have to look around until you see a better one.

Top Bottom