Opinions on this wicked boxwood I picked up this summer.

jandslegate

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I wanted to show this boxwood I picked up at work this summer and get some general style opinions for next year. I've finally advanced in my bonsai practice that I'm more selective on what material I purchase but I also feel like I'm developing an eye for when something has interesting features. Anyway, I picked this one up because of the gnarly curve and trunk it had going for it. Most of the buxus we have come through are just a bunch of multi trunks (all tiny) or just outright clumps. This one was an exception.

I'm not sure if I want to just build from the curved branch coming off the base. Or if I should make an apex from the branches growing upwards. I did a very small amount of Jin and Shari work to accentuate some of the movement in the curvature. The first branch bifurcates and the one behind extends out a bit longer and was moving upwards enough that it disrupts the silhouette. Thus my make shift guy wire. I was thinking I'd cut it back right about where the wire is.

Also, I've attempted the top down 'repotting' method I learned about from BSOP this year. The tree has responded well to all the work I did this summer. So now I just let it coast and protect it through winter. I guess I won't know for sure until it passes the June test. Any input is appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: The upper branches are absolutely a development/WIP thing. I just wanted to be cautious about taking any more foliage than I felt I could get away with.

Attachments

• 20221102_175318.jpg
    20221102_175318.jpg
    110.3 KB · Views: 106

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry you haven't gotten comments yet. I think you could use the first branch on the right as a leader for a cascade with a major planting angle rotation. If not then it probably should go and you should pick a trunk line with some gentler movement (green?)

Inkedbox critique.jpg

Eckhoffw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Sorry you haven't gotten comments yet. I think you could use the first branch on the right as a leader for a cascade with a major planting angle rotation. If not then it probably should go and you should pick a trunk line with some gentler movement (green?)

View attachment 462123
I really like the red option. It would be a pretty dramatic boxwood for sure!

jandslegate

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really like the red option. It would be a pretty dramatic boxwood for sure!
I really appreciate the comments and input. Yes I was definitely leaning toward the red. At least that was what drew my attention. Ive worked with boxwoods enough at least to appreciate what had to occur for that bend being there naturally. A boxwood was the first branch I ever completely snapped when I started working with wires and bending.
Have you considered taking off ALL of the top branches in order to get a big curved trunk?

Yeah, that was initially what I had in mind when I found it but I didn't want to go overboard straight out the gate, heh.

Top Bottom