Opinions please

Chopsie

Shohin
Reaction score
Hi all

I have a new pot coming for my Rigida
I’d love to hear from you guys with regards to whether the pot is suitable
I believe that the tree is feminine and warrants a oval/round pot.
91EBA592-609E-41DC-8A31-3BF50E955AF5.jpeg4D4E27F7-7ECE-46C4-9738-3DF2FAC77EFE.jpeg
Also what style would you consider the tree?
Thank you all opinions welcomed

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Hi all

I have a new pot coming for my Rigida
I’d love to hear from you guys with regards to whether the pot is suitable
I believe that the tree is feminine and warrants a oval/round pot.
View attachment 385444View attachment 385445
Also what style would you consider the tree?
Thank you all opinions welcomed
Is that pot a replica or the real deal (antique Chinese)? I can’t tell if it has patina or not, which would enhance the image created by the pairing. If the pot size is appropriate, it will look good in my opinion, though a nanban may be a better choice. I also believe your tree is feminine, though it does have some masculine characteristics, such as the deadwood features. That pot is very appropriate either way.

Chopsie

Shohin
Reaction score
Is that pot a replica or the real deal (antique Chinese)? I can’t tell if it has patina or not, which would enhance the image created by the pairing. If the pot size is appropriate, it will look good in my opinion, though a nanyang may be a better choice. I also believe your tree is feminine, though it does have some masculine characteristics, such as the deadwood features. That pot is very appropriate either way.
The pot is a Peter Krebs
The current pot is 35cm round Albright
The Krebs is slightly smaller 31cmLx27cm wide
But I think the current pot is slightly oversized

thank you for your opinion

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
The pot is a Peter Krebs
The current pot is 35cm round Albright
The Krebs is slightly smaller 31cmLx27cm wide
But I think the current pot is slightly oversized

thank you for your opinion
Peter Krebs makes an outstanding pot... The one you have there is a dead ringer for antique Chinese.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I've had difficulty with bag style walls on a pot. The tree roots circle the bag under the rim and I have a lot of difficulty. I prefer straight or angled walls.

i think the example pot you show would dominate to much. I’d aim for softer tones. Perhaps a pot with a bit of ivory color in it. The pot could work…I just don’t see it working the best. I think the pot color you have right now has good color. However, the tree planted as high as you have it right now showcases a scruffy substrate mixed with weeds. Kinda distracting to me. The substrate….looks rough….not feminine. The new pot looks to…pristine in my view.

Nice curves.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Personally, if the new pot is smaller than the current pot, is seems like it may be too small.
....or maybe the illusion with the current pot is just due to the placement of the tree to the left of center.....it should be on the other side.
The way the elegant trunk and branches stretch out to the left could take use a wider pot I think.

Chopsie

Shohin
Reaction score
I've had difficulty with bag style walls on a pot. The tree roots circle the bag under the rim and I have a lot of difficulty. I prefer straight or angled walls.

i think the example pot you show would dominate to much. I’d aim for softer tones. Perhaps a pot with a bit of ivory color in it. The pot could work…I just don’t see it working the best. I think the pot color you have right now has good color. However, the tree planted as high as you have it right now showcases a scruffy substrate mixed with weeds. Kinda distracting to me. The substrate….looks rough….not feminine. The new pot looks to…pristine in my view.

Nice curves.
The weeds are my fault, I should of cleaned them out but I had to leave for work
I think the current pot is too big
Thank you for your opinion though I do respect that

Chopsie

Shohin
Reaction score
Personally, if the new pot is smaller than the current pot, is seems like it may be too small.
....or maybe the illusion with the current pot is just due to the placement of the tree to the left of center.....it should be on the other side.
The way the elegant trunk and branches stretch out to the left could take use a wider pot I think.
I will receive the pot next week so I’ll put it in front of the tree and take a picture
Length is only 4cm shorter

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
The new pot is really awesome yet , I too, do fear it will draw attention from the tree. The color is powerful, more so then the tree…. this could be lessened by working the bark of the tree a bit and also patina forming on the pot.

I love the look of this pot style, yet do not like taking trees out of these pots. We had to repot several tropicals in the past month at the Museum and two of these were the same style. It was a bit of a chore.

I’ll be interested to see the final results when you are finished! 😎

Cheers
DSD sends

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I used to share your preferences, but have found that running a sharp blade (a knife or a sharpened scythe) around the inside lip can simply cut those roots in the bag from the main root pad. Two or three passes and most of the root pruning job is done! The tree and main root pad easily lifts from the pot. It becomes no more problematic than freeing a tree from a deep pot, IMHO.

Chopsie

Shohin
Reaction score
The new pot is really awesome yet , I too, do fear it will draw attention from the tree. The color is powerful, more so then the tree…. this could be lessened by working the bark of the tree a bit and also patina forming on the pot.

I love the look of this pot style, yet do not like taking trees out of these pots. We had to repot several tropicals in the past month at the Museum and two of these were the same style. It was a bit of a chore.

I’ll be interested to see the final results when you are finished! 😎

Cheers
DSD sends
I think cleaning up the trunk and oiling with camellia oil to bring out the red will be a good pairing
I will continue to update as always
Regarding removing the tree from a bag style pot a shape knife makes light work

Top Bottom