Opinions sought for corking bark pine ‘whomping tree’

Tric in Aus

Seedling
Reaction score
As suggested, I have created a new thread with some photos for the group’s review and ideas.
This little tree has just been de-candled and de-needled. (Summer here in Aus) and has a plethora of buds which will need thinning, but which ones is difficult to know.
Some questions:
1. How to manage the reverse taper above graft - e.g. burying up to graft and losing nebari vs gluing cork to root stock.
2. Styling ideas - e.g. Remove leader and allow buds to develop with future selection of branches into informal upright? Increase angle more horizontally to emphasise slanting style? Something completely different?

For past 10 years it has been ignored, and was repotted about 5years ago.
3. Suggestions as to the type of pine would also be appreciated.

Attachments

• 22872892-F4CD-4C64-92CE-1E4EE21FDB0D.jpeg
    22872892-F4CD-4C64-92CE-1E4EE21FDB0D.jpeg
    182.8 KB · Views: 100
  • B9A4E70E-34D3-47A7-B3D2-1657E52DE15D.jpeg
    B9A4E70E-34D3-47A7-B3D2-1657E52DE15D.jpeg
    171.3 KB · Views: 96
  • 0ECE70B4-A20B-4F79-9EE4-1C4CC9212F3A.jpeg
    0ECE70B4-A20B-4F79-9EE4-1C4CC9212F3A.jpeg
    166.9 KB · Views: 83
  • FA65CB46-D6E0-4E9D-996F-62DDAC1C72B1.jpeg
    FA65CB46-D6E0-4E9D-996F-62DDAC1C72B1.jpeg
    186.2 KB · Views: 68

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
May as well keep working it ugly!

I quite like the whomping reference, and I like the "hands". Whole whorls of 5 at the ends...

Keep making reverse taper.

Stick it in a handsome pot.

Enjoy.

Sorce

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
You have one of the cork bark varieties of Japanese black pine, almost always grafted, and generally less vigorous then the species. They tend to be brittle... throw in some cork and it makes wiring established branches almost impossible. Due to their relative lack of vigor, the consensus is to not de-candle every year, though I suppose there can be exceptions. Your options are really limited with this one. As I see it, you either need to bury this one deeply to hide the thin, lower trunk or you need to graft roots onto the trunk just below the cork. At least for now, I'd keep it at the current planting angle and only remove a few branches from the apex, and try and wire the others for some added movement.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
There’s really not much you can do about the reverse taper.

Trees like this just don’t make good classical “bonsai”. They can still be interesting trees to have on the bench, because the cork bark is interesting, but forget about making this one into a “show quality” tree.

It’s kind of how the dog breeders sell less than perfect puppies as “pet quality” rather than “show quality”.

Tric in Aus

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks guys. I’m thinking I might celebrate its individuality and resign myself to the fact it will never be show quality.
In fact, after reading your comments, I’m thinking I might see if I can train the leader to look like a ‘middle finger’ and tell ’admirers’ that he is giving the judges the Beverley Hillbillies’ Salute.

Last edited:

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Looks good to me! ;). Can it be ground layered right where understock meets the cork bark?

Pardon me but I thought your user's name was Tric Anus :oops:. The "in" threw me off man!
TricPine1_sm.jpg

Tric in Aus

Seedling
Reaction score
Plant it deeper?
Looks good to me! ;). Can it be ground layered right where understock meets the cork bark?

Pardon me but I thought your user's name was Tric Anus :oops:. The "in" threw me off man!
View attachment 279814
That’s too funny. My name comes from paTRICia and I live in Australia! Hey, that’s a great photo shop! Thanks for the input.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Ah I see. I always thought Pat was short for Patricia, or Patrick. But Tric it is!

Another option (what I would try) is to grow out the main trunk. Delete most or all lower branches and start the canopy higher up.

Something like the pic I pulled off the net for photoshoping. Who needs nebari when you can showcase nice barks on the trunk!
3cabed8592eb261bb8e27e2213e4bcb8.jpg

Tric in Aus

Seedling
Reaction score
Ah I see. I always thought Pat was short for Patricia, or Patrick. But Tric it is!

Another option (what I would try) is to grow out the main trunk. Delete most or all lower branches and start the canopy higher up.

Something like the pic I pulled off the net for photoshoping. Who needs nebari when you can showcase nice barks on the trunk!
View attachment 279952
Yeah, cool! I like it. Will certainly consider as an option. I think I need to pop it back on the carousel while I sit back with a glass of red 😜

Top Bottom