Opinions wanted on my ficus

Leprichan

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
1451855059195-1346028664.jpg
This is my 3yo Ginger root ficus, I think I would like to make it shorter, maybe Just above the 6th branch from the top. Any suggestions?

SGF

Seedling
Reaction score
I would most definitely shorten it. I would go maybe seven or eight branches from the top at least.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Do nothing. Update your profile so we know where in the world you are. Get the tree actively growing. Repot it into fast draining soil when it's growing well. Then, and only then, should you cut it back.

Leprichan

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Do nothing. Update your profile so we know where in the world you are. Get the tree actively growing. Repot it into fast draining soil when it's growing well. Then, and only then, should you cut it back.

I hail from Virginia, and it is actively growing and the soil drains fast. Lots of new root growth and just sprouted 5 new branches. Was planning on waiting till spring to do the hard pruning, waiting on the roots to form a bit more. Was just looking for some styling opinions for when the spring gets here. I like to plan ahead. Thanks for your response and time.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Leprichan!

Welcome to Crazy!

I don't know bout the tree.....
But I LOVE the pot!

Nothing like a big blow on the frugal bugle!

But....search "colanders".

Sorce

Leprichan

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Leprichan!

Welcome to Crazy!

I don't know bout the tree.....
But I LOVE the pot!

Nothing like a big blow on the frugal bugle!

But....search "colanders".

Sorce

Thanks, needed something wide, old bird food container was right there. Figured it would work till I found the pot I wanted.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I hail from Virginia, and it is actively growing and the soil drains fast. Lots of new root growth and just sprouted 5 new branches. Was planning on waiting till spring to do the hard pruning, waiting on the roots to form a bit more. Was just looking for some styling opinions for when the spring gets here. I like to plan ahead. Thanks for your response and time.

I agree with Ryan. It may be actively growing, but it's definitely not growing strongly or it would be back budding like crazy all over that bare section of trunk. If you cut it now, even if it's putting out that weak growth, it's not going to come back quickly. It'll lose a lot of steam, and as resilient as these are, it could die.

Here's some advice Adam Lavigne gave me:

Ficus development

Start with a six inch pot in good draining soil. Let it grow uninterrupted for a year. Move it to a gallon pot. Half full of soil. Grow half a year then cut it back. Grow until next year. Put it in a 3 gallon pot. Half full. Grow for a year.

This process will grow the tree tall and consequentially, fat.

The half full pot causes the tree to want to push up above the pot rim quicker and also the humidity and darkness will encourage aerial roots. The relatively shallow soil mass also encourages the root base to spread. It’s this process over and over. Year by year.

Are you able to put it outside when it's warm? Get a three gallon nursery container and cut it down to about half size, height wise. Repot it into that with some better soil when it's outside and warm. Start some heavy fertilization and watering. Ficus aren't that picky about soil, but that looks like it stays wet. If you're trying to stay frugal get some NAPA Floor Dry #8822 and perlite.

Leprichan

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I put her out when the weather permits. The current container drains just fine(there are holes in the bottom) if I give her a soaking,(aka: outside in rain) but I usually only water with a spray bottle. I'm currently experimenting with ariel roots. Just need to finish humidity box. I appreciate your post, but I was mainly looking for a cut point opinion for when the time was right, been stareing at it for six months trying to decide. I have quite the green thumb, and I do appreciate constructive feedback, but it probably be a year or more before i make that cut. For as bare as it is, I just trimmed her a couple months ago, and I've been a little pinchie, trying to figure whether to leave 3 or 5 branches when I make that cut. I like to have a plan, and I value others opinions when I'm not sure what the answer is.

Leprichan

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Oh, and it looks wet cause I sprayed it shortly before I took the photo.

KennedyMarx

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I didn't mean it looks wet now. The composition of the soil looks like it will retain a lot of water. The structure of the soil itself is certainly all fine particles with no large pore spaces for oxygen.

If you want to cut it cut the entire straight portion off at the node where that fresh new growth starts. You can wire the new growth up as the new leader and put some movement into it.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wee Lad....

I'd be lettin' the Lass grow outside thru the summer I would...

Then I'd be choppin her here.....aviary-image-1451959356511.jpeg

It's your only hope of a pot of gold it is!

Check out JustWingIt's thread.....
Carp is giving him some good tips on these!

Sorce

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Wee Lad....

Then I'd be choppin her here.....View attachment 90922

Sorce
Great timing @sorce - a pot has just been discovered that perfectly complements your virtual:
image.jpeg

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
This is my 3yo Ginger root ficus, I think I would like to make it shorter, maybe Just above the 6th branch from the top. Any suggestions?
Hi there :)
I would posit that, like the trees referenced HERE, this could be considered more a piece of stock rather than a bonsai. In that light, it might be more productive to think about trunk caliper/taper and roots before you worry about height . . .

Leprichan

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Wee Lad....

Then I'd be choppin her here.....View attachment 90922

Sorce

So you saying about an inch or so up from the last hard prune?

Leprichan

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hi there :)
I would posit that, like the trees referenced HERE, this could be considered more a piece of stock rather than a bonsai. In that light, it might be more productive to think about trunk caliper/taper and roots before you worry about height . . .

My main concern at the moment is the trunk and roots,(guess I was really looking for a final height opinion) main reason for the clear pot. btw, root growth is very good lots of new. I am experimenting with ariel roots so soil is kept fairly dry and humidity is high with multiple leaf spray's a day. Will soon be finishing humidity box, I want bottom right branch to root.

Leprichan

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
IMAG0523_BURST003.jpg
Estimated height of next hard prune. Also, the large rock is only temporary till I find the right one to replace it.
IMAG0520_BURST001.jpg
Main concentration right now is surface roots.

Last edited:

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Make sure you keep up with the thread Sorce linked to. It has continued to update and addressed those roots, as well as the idea to cram a rock into pre-existing exposed roots. The advice on where to cut is exactly applicable to your tree.

The short story is this: keeping those stilts is a bad move in the long run, and any effort and time that goes into growing roots below them will end up wasted when you eventually decide to cut them off.

Top Bottom