Opinions wanted...

Individual books dealing with the subjects of Art in Bonsai?

• Total voters

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
If you are writing the book because you want to, or you enjoy it, I say go for it!

If you are writing the book to make money, I would direct your energies elsewhere. Just being honest. It will be an extremely niche product interesting to only a few. For those people it might be worth its weight in gold, but I don't imagine there would be too many of them...

eferguson1974

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
For me personaly an ebook is much easier to obtain. Im not saying dont publish a book but I like the idea of an ebook. Or do several ebooks fallowed by a book that includes them all, if it seems likely that people will buy it. As far as Florida goes I think books about tropical bonsai would be great to learn from. In the end, fallow your heart and do what makes you happy. I'd love to read it, however its produced and to support a fellow Floridian at the same time...

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Drop the use of "one" please. It's terrible.

This is absolutely correct!.
Just pointing out....
That it is the enviroment here that creates the necessity of using "one".
Because of the way, "you", is read by morons. Like someone is telling them what to do. Just another forum communications flaw!

you want your audience tuned in...your being tuned in is not good enough.

Somehow this relates to what I was saying earlier.....in regards to music.....
You know you're tuned in, and making it, so You know You like it, but do people?

I could never really trust that people weren't just "trying to be Nice" when they say they like it.

It wasn't until not listening to some things for years, to the point of forgetting it, that I realized for myself how good it was.

Somehow there is a lesson there.
And it kind of goes back to this...

Think fresh

Lotta great stuff in there Toenail! Lol. Tieball!
Love it..

Gold in Eric Groups post too.

And everyone has provided well!

How come we can talk books like this....
But not trees?

Sorce

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Hi Stacy,
I'm with BN Admin and others here........it will take a lot of your time and energy so you might want to put that into your other forms of income. I have'nt bought a B. Book in years.....I'm a hands on learner and find at this juncture "on line" videos are more practical.
As has been stated .......maybe an Ebook first to test the waters....
Cheers Graham

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the replies!
Wanted to say, that I had planned on doing an e-book as well as a hard copy.
Also, wanted to mention since it was brought up, that yes... It will have a modern approach and modern thought. Why, because it will be my thoughts.
Lastly, I am not doing this to make money or get rich.

Reaction score
You guys are funny!
Here is the deal... before everything else, my most important issue is that you read it! I am going through and doing it because I feel it is of importance. My main goal is to try and pass a long the info... in the hopes that I may contribute and perhaps give another side of things I have learned in life through doing art, and hopefully perhaps better bonsai.

As an Artist, one cannot do art without coming to terms with the fact that the better everyone else gets, the more drive it puts on themselves to improve as well.

So, to be honest... I don't care if you steal it, as long as you read it! I do however, have bills just as everyone else has and it does take effort and time to do. Which could instead be spent on doing something instead to make money to pay bills...

If you can afford to pay for it and support the effort or feel the effort is worth throwing down some money on it, that's cool too! We are all trying to get through life the best we can! I am going to try and work out the price of the end product where it works for everyone!

It has been mentioned here that it's not worth doing perhaps because there are already books maybe on the subject, or that most people might not be interested in it... all I can say to this is, then why bother doing anything in life? Most people in the world are not concerned with bonsai, and there will of always been books written on a particular subject before... There were books written before David' by Chinese and Japanese artist. Who most would probably feel have more senior folks recognizing their work the David's.

Then their is the future... Some one has to be the future... seems like it might be perhaps some of us? We all have to play our roles... it is just up to what role each chooses to play. If we all just said well... someone else has already done something... then there is no point really is there? Folks have already done bonsai... so why do we continue then?

For me this is kind of a defeatist attitude...
Everyone always has the choice to improve, and improve their environment... or just just sit back and let others do this. To each their own... just step out of the way then, and stop poo pooing folks effort of those not content to stand idle. I appreciate those words written here by those who have not done this! This is what we should be doing if we want to see a change, we should be pushing each other to strive to be better, not tearing each other down.
Thanks!

Last edited:

bumblebee

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I love the idea of a beautiful book about the "art"of bonsai. Your drawings are superb, but not what
I want on my walls. A book that I can pull out, read,and learn from while enjoying your art would
be just wonderful.

Libby

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
just step out of the way then, and stop poo pooing folks effort of those not content to stand idle. I appreciate those words written here by those who have not done this! This is what we should be doing if we want to see a change, we should be pushing each other to strive to be better, not tearing each other down.

If I may.....
Granted....it doesn't matter AT ALL ....because this is Pixel Land!

But you are human....so I care..

I have tried to understand you, I have stood up for you, I have been upset with you for foul attitude....

I have given Myself, chance after chance, to see you as righteous.....
Because I like to believe we all are....

But please, go back and read these threads, and quote the parts in it where poo pooing occured.

Quote the part where someone tore you down.

Then I will give myself one more chance to see you as righteous.

One....you will find these quotes, and I will help you understand why you are wrong.

Two.....you see for yourself that these instances did not exist.

Wow....I just read them all again, and beside Caddie, who you have insulted anyway, and may even be ignoring, no one has said anything negative.....

So Three.....you are addressing around 10 people that gave you honest great advice, with a response that replies to only the negative(for reason) persons comment?

Please.

Sorce

Reaction score
If I may.....
Granted....it doesn't matter AT ALL ....because this is Pixel Land!

But you are human....so I care..

I have tried to understand you, I have stood up for you, I have been upset with you for foul attitude....

I have given Myself, chance after chance, to see you as righteous.....
Because I like to believe we all are....

But please, go back and read these threads, and quote the parts in it where poo pooing occured.

Quote the part where someone tore you down.

Then I will give myself one more chance to see you as righteous.

One....you will find these quotes, and I will help you understand why you are wrong.

Two.....you see for yourself that these instances did not exist.

Wow....I just read them all again, and beside Caddie, who you have insulted anyway, and may even be ignoring, no one has said anything negative.....

So Three.....you are addressing around 10 people that gave you honest great advice, with a response that replies to only the negative(for reason) persons comment?

Please.

Sorce
Not going to get into an argument here with you or anyone else... you have stated your views, your opinion. I have read it and they are posted for all to read it, and they can draw their own views and conclusions from it.

Now, with this said, just because you have posted your views does not mean one has to follow it. Or, that one has to agree, or do what you suggest they do, do they?

I honestly cannot believe we are having this conversation... it is really kinda silly, right? I mean, you and some others have told me not to write a book, fine... but, what you seem to be missing was that I was not asking for your permission. With this thread, I merely asked a simple question... I will repeat it seeing you some how missed it... the question was, "Individual books dealing with the subject of art, yes or no". It's even in the Poll I posted at the beginning of the thread and the whole concept of the Thread.
How is this so hard?

Yes, I asked for opinions as well... dealing with what i hoped would be the subject at hand. I don't have a problem with differing views than mine, everyone is entitled to the views and I am cool with that. Some have said they don't think doing the individual books is a good idea, and I thank them for this view!

But, what up with the rest? I mean, first I have to hear how you think I possibly treated someone wrong. Then a speach about what to be completely honest I don't understand other than perhaps I have plants that might be dead, I might be selling plants, that might be dead, I should concentrate on what you think I should be doing, etc... and I have to get posts by Darlene , of which she repeated in my previous threads, of how I should not write a book, because there are already one's out there on the subject that are the cat's meow, as she put it, and how that book is respected by all of the senior folks in bonsai as being something of value... as if anything I or any one else say or suggest, would never, nor could never in the slightest be of value...

I mean, what gives? You don't think that anyone in my scenario might find all of this the slightest bit offensive?
I mean, I keep hearing about how all the trouble I get is all my fault... can anyone actually say here where I have done anything wrong? And why I cannot get the same respect that anyone would want for themselves? This is just silly? If you cannot honestly understand this than clearly something is wrong here.

As I said with my post, we need to stop telling folks what they can and cannot do, and instead if some one comes and posts a thread asking for advice, them saying they want to do something... we work together as a unit to try and help them accomplish what it is they are seeking to do... If all one is going to do is tear them down, then I for one as well as I am sure quite a few folks here would agree to as well... would say then perhaps you should use some self control and not post. Think people, you have a brain for a reason.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I love the idea of a beautiful book about the "art"of bonsai. Your drawings are superb, but not what
I want on my walls. A book that I can pull out, read,and learn from while enjoying your art would
be just wonderful.

Libby
Thank you for the compliments, I appreciate!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I say go for it. Would I purchase a book on the topic...most likely not. Nothing against you or if it were another author even. I just feel what you're trying to teach I have a good book well written and admired by many senior bonsai folk. That I see no reason adding to that topic.

My book...the newer version...nice hardbound large book well put together.

http://www.absbonsai.org/store/principles-bonsai-design

Could have sworn I said go for it...yup...it's there. Just because I wouldn't buy it doesn't mean I said Stacy you shouldn't. Finding only negative when there was also positive is very pesimistic...and that's a sad way to live. So...I'm not on ignore...there goes my bit of humor in this thread...

Wish you the best Stacy...I am myself an optimistic person...so it saddens me when others choose the Cup half empty route.

So I like another's book...is that so wrong!?! It was referred to me by Jim. I highly respect @jkl2. He was dead on with the book.

Last edited:

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
can anyone actually say here where I have done anything wrong

Yes....

But I garauntee you don't want to hear it from me....

For the sake of others' entertainment though, I'll ask permission to speak again..

But honestly, it wouldn't even be very entertaining either....

You guys are funny!

We can start there...

For the record....not that you understand my advice....it's clear you don't.
But I no longer wish to help you with your endeavors,
Without first helping you heal something in your soul.
Of course...I'm not qualified by the state of Illinois to be giving pjychiatric help...

There's my disclaimer!

Sorce

jriddell88

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
If you are writing the book because you want to, or you enjoy it, I say go for it!

If you are writing the book to make money, I would direct your energies elsewhere. Just being honest. It will be an extremely niche product interesting to only a few. For those people it might be worth its weight in gold, but I don't imagine there would be too many of them...
I agree , hopefully it doesn't cost too much to get done ... I remember reading somewhere that you "were having problematic financial issues" or something similiar..not sure where I read that. I think I would worry a bit more about getting that under control...any who I do enjoy reading most of your posts, however , I don't get to post very often at all, your art and photography is better than mine ,makes me want to work on that and I thank you. Nice sketches too bro

Reaction score
Could have sworn I said go for it...yup...it's there. Just because I wouldn't buy it doesn't mean I said Stacy you shouldn't. Finding only negative when there was also positive is very pesimistic...and that's a sad way to live. So...I'm not on ignore...there goes my bit of humor in this thread...

Wish you the best Stacy...I am myself an optimistic person...so it saddens me when others choose the Cup half empty route.

So I like another's book...is that so wrong!?! It was referred to me by Jim. I highly respect @jkl2. He was dead on with the book.
Thanks, but there is no half empty, half full glass. No pessimistic attitude going on. Your comments are there for anyone to read.

You say you are complementing me and telling me to go for it and at the same time saying you see no reason for me writing a book seeing there is already one out there and I quote...." I just feel what you're trying to teach I have a good book well written and admired by many senior bonsai folk. That I see no reason adding to that topic."

So, you don't feel that this says what I have said?

As far as liking a book... cool like a book!

Reaction score
Yes....

But I garauntee you don't want to hear it from me

Clearly you have an issue with me that goes well beyond the scope of this thread, so I politely ask then that you no longer comment on my threads, until you are able to resolve what it is that is troubling you.
Thanks!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Thanks, but there is no half empty, half full glass. No pessimistic attitude going on. Your comments are there for anyone to read.

You say you are complementing me and telling me to go for it and at the same time saying you see no reason for me writing a book seeing there is already one out there and I quote...." I just feel what you're trying to teach I have a good book well written and admired by many senior bonsai folk. That I see no reason adding to that topic."

So, you don't feel that this says what I have said?

As far as liking a book... cool like a book!
That was directed at ME explaining why I wouldn't buy it. Sorry you took it out of the context it was meant.

Your right there is no half full half empty glass...it's always full. Unless scientifically altered it has air clean to the top.

Top Bottom