Opposing Thoughts and Practices on Bonsai for Beginners

San Franpsycho

Sapling
Reaction score
Not so sure the one insult per year rule is actually a thing outside of pines and the like.

I am a big fan of the KISS approach - keep it simple stupid. There's a lot to learn, but I believe that the fundamentals can be explained relatively quickly and then implemented. And when I say implemented, I say this in the least arrogant way possible. I aspire to develop trees like the ones I've seen on this site, but have no misconceptions about my skill level. Tried and true technique and experimentation in implementation should produce finished trees. Will Mach5 be hounding me to buy my trees? Probably not. That's because the level of development needed to produce a tree like that will require a more nuanced approach. Newbs should be taught to develop newb trees, not butcher everything they touch because they are being advised to

I think there can be a one-stop for newbs to get very basic information without all the nuance and disagreement. For example, I don't think explaining soil has to be the equivalent of astrophysics, requiring folks to experiment with endless soil combinations and get a degree in soil mechanics. I could swear I listened to a video of Walter Pall saying he uses whatever he has lying around. Of course, he understands the fundamentals of soil and therefore can do this effectively (assuming that's what he does). The answer to the question of "I'm a newb and need soil, what should I get?" should have an answer. Maybe something like, "X is a safe bet, but here are all of the details". I think this is confusing, but not nearly as confusing as it's made out to be.

I tried to do this with a thread on choosing material and planned on posting other similar threads. Was a little hesitant as I'm a newb myself and the last thing I want to do is give the wrong info. I have one on soil that I may just post and open it up for inevitable criticism.

Another example - knowing when to repot shouldn't be rocket science either. Of course, circumstances will arise where expert opinions are needed. But otherwise, one should have a firm enough grasp of plant biology and the tried and true practices to answer the simple question themselves.
This kind of thinking is community-building.

michaelj

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
What makes his videos great in your opinion over other, say.. My, channels?
Would love to learn what makes people watch through his hours long videos

I've sat through all of his public videos. Some of the long ones are hard to pay attention to the whole time, because distractions interject themselves. But he's got a lot of knowledge to impart and he's gotten pretty good with his delivery. I really enjoy the content and I'm seriously thinking of subscribing. Maybe if I'm able to monetize my little YouTube channel, I can offset the cost.

Kadebe

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've sat through all of his public videos. Some of the long ones are hard to pay attention to the whole time, because distractions interject themselves. But he's got a lot of knowledge to impart and he's gotten pretty good with his delivery. I really enjoy the content and I'm seriously thinking of subscribing. Maybe if I'm able to monetize my little YouTube channel, I can offset the cost.
I have been a subscriber for one year this month and I have certainly not regretted it. I have learned a lot. I just renewed my subscription for 1 year to look back at different techniques when I need them. it will probably be my last year. The videos of Ryan that I watched the most are the ones on YouTube... the BSOP series. The knowledge of plant physiology is a must, and the way he brings it makes the various techniques used more logical.

For building up trees myself from prebonsai to a higher level, I learn the most at Danny's workshops. The big difference is that you do this irl, with assistance and explanation why a certain technique is used or not. No video can match that. The region also plays a big role in maintenance.... because the climate here in Belgium is different, which also has an impact on the way the trees are maintained.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@dbonsaiw - your post hits many good points. Spot on. KISS. For example soil: Akadama is the "time proven go to material" and the single best alternative is pumice. Pumice can be had in any particle size range, with some searching and can improve any mix, and can be used as 100% of your media with good result. Pumice is the best modern substrate available. Any substrate can be improved with the use of a good sieve. Sift your media to eliminate fines, and eliminate overly large particles. The more uniform the particle size of your media, the better the results. And as @dbonsaiw mentions, these tips can be made for all topics.

@LAS - you are in the Chicago area. I would like to invite you to attend the Midwest Bonsai Society Show, August 19 thru 21, at the Chicago Botanic Garden. Here you can see National Exhibition quality trees, over 100 trees, exhibited by growers from all over the country, though most of the trees exhibited will have been grown by local Chicago and Milwaukee area growers. If you attend on Saturday Aug 20, I will be there then, if you PM me here, I'll give you my mobile number, we can meet and I can introduce you to the growers I know. I do know a good percentage of the vendors and the growers. And we can discuss bonsai in general, not just the relatively minor issue of chloramines. Even if you choose to not meet me there, do attend the show, it is well worth the parking fee to get in. (or put your bicycle on your car, park at the Glencoe Metra parking lot, and ride your bike into the CBG, save yourself $24 in parking fees) (or take Metra and walk over, about 1.5 miles).

Anyone in the Chicago or Milwaukee area should attend the Chicago Show, it really is the second largest show in the USA, second only to the National Show in Rochester NY. Maybe one or two of the California shows compare, but I think the Midwest show in Chicago is certainly on the short list of top level shows in the country.

Anyone wants to meet me at the show is welcome to PM me for my number, and I will make time for you. @Carol 83 - girlfriend, its time for you to plan a road trip. You got 10 days to convince your boss to give you a day off and get your hubby to take you for a overnite to Chi-town.

LAS

Yamadori
Reaction score
@dbonsaiw - your post hits many good points. Spot on. KISS. For example soil: Akadama is the "time proven go to material" and the single best alternative is pumice. Pumice can be had in any particle size range, with some searching and can improve any mix, and can be used as 100% of your media with good result. Pumice is the best modern substrate available. Any substrate can be improved with the use of a good sieve. Sift your media to eliminate fines, and eliminate overly large particles. The more uniform the particle size of your media, the better the results. And as @dbonsaiw mentions, these tips can be made for all topics.

@LAS - you are in the Chicago area. I would like to invite you to attend the Midwest Bonsai Society Show, August 19 thru 21, at the Chicago Botanic Garden. Here you can see National Exhibition quality trees, over 100 trees, exhibited by growers from all over the country, though most of the trees exhibited will have been grown by local Chicago and Milwaukee area growers. If you attend on Saturday Aug 20, I will be there then, if you PM me here, I'll give you my mobile number, we can meet and I can introduce you to the growers I know. I do know a good percentage of the vendors and the growers. And we can discuss bonsai in general, not just the relatively minor issue of chloramines. Even if you choose to not meet me there, do attend the show, it is well worth the parking fee to get in. (or put your bicycle on your car, park at the Glencoe Metra parking lot, and ride your bike into the CBG, save yourself $24 in parking fees) (or take Metra and walk over, about 1.5 miles).

Anyone in the Chicago or Milwaukee area should attend the Chicago Show, it really is the second largest show in the USA, second only to the National Show in Rochester NY. Maybe one or two of the California shows compare, but I think the Midwest show in Chicago is certainly on the short list of top level shows in the country.

Anyone wants to meet me at the show is welcome to PM me for my number, and I will make time for you. @Carol 83 - girlfriend, its time for you to plan a road trip. You got 10 days to convince your boss to give you a day off and get your hubby to take you for a overnite to Chi-town.
I already made plans to take my dad on Saturday. I will def be there.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score

You're killing me @Leo in N E Illinois . We're actually on vacation this week and the week of Labor Day, so getting off is not going to happen. 😥 I did ask him if we could maybe leave really early Saturday and come home Sunday. Let's just say he wasn't very receptive to the idea. 😞

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
You're killing me @Leo in N E Illinois . We're actually on vacation this week and the week of Labor Day, so getting off is not going to happen. 😥 I did ask him if we could maybe leave really early Saturday and come home Sunday. Let's just say he wasn't very receptive to the idea. 😞

Aw, sucks. You know if you dig into the Midwest Bonsai Society Website, they probably have the dates already posted for the 2023 show and if you email the club's show chairperson, they have already signed the contract with CBG for the 2024 dates. When I was president of the Illinois Orchid Society we had contracts for 3 years future for our shows at CBG. And if something special like a Amer. Orchid Soc Trustees meeting was to be part of the show, CBG would sign up as much as 5 years before the events.

So the trick is to sit down in November 2022 with all the bonsai dates for events you want to make in 2023 & 2024, and pencil them into the calendar. Then your husband can work around some, and say "oh hell no" for others. But get the dates first. PM me and I'll help you get dates for future "must see" events. LOL I'll help you plot.

Top Bottom