Options For Saving Yamadori Hornbeam

mrcasey

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This spring, I dug a really large hornbeam and rolled it into an old wash tub. The
tree had a huge intact root ball surrounded by it's native soil. I made a very foolish and amateurish mistake by not putting holes in the tub. The tree grew like crazy until about August 1st. The edges around most of the leaves got brown and crunchy. I freaked out, lifted the tub on its side, and pounded about 20 holes into the bottom with a chisel. A flood of muddy water poured out of the holes. After a few days, the browning seemed to slow down. Also, the shoots and leaves at the very top looked nice and healthy.
Over the last few days, though, those top shoots and leaves have started to die. The color
of those top leaves isn't changing, however. They didn't turn brown and crispy around the
edges. They just took on a dull gray green appearance and curled up. Here are the only
options I can think of:

1. Put the whole thing in the ground without disturbing the roots.
2. Take the tree out and clean out the old soil and whatever root rot exists.
Put it back in the tub with bonsai soil.
3. Leave it as is and hope for the best.
4. Clean out root rot and put in the ground.

DSCN0896.jpg

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
You probably are still collecting water if that tub is just sitting on the ground. Sit it up on several bricks, blocks or 2x4s so there is a space between the tub bottom and the ground.

If that's not the situation, dig a hole TWICE as large (diameter) as the tub, and a bit deeper and plant in the ground.

Top Bottom