Orange Bonsai: the Color, Not the Fruit

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Orange is my favorite color, and I’d like to incorporate more of it into my garden. I’m hoping you can offer some species and/or cultivar suggestions for bonsai.

I’m currently interested in Stewartia monodelpha and Lagerstroemia indica x fauriei ‘Natchez’ for their orange bark, as well as Diospyros spp. for the orange fruit, and Rhododendron calendulaceum for the orange flowers. Zone 7 is of course a bit too cold for Citrus spp.

Kanorin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Some crabapples have orange fruit. "Indian Magic" and "Snowdrift" are two examples. The indian magic also has some oranges in their fall leaf color range.

Gabler

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Some crabapples have orange fruit. "Indian Magic" and "Snowdrift" are two examples. The indian magic also has some oranges in their fall leaf color range.

I’ll have to add them to my list.

jszg

Mame
Reaction score
Chaenomeles comes to mind- some might have both orange flowers and fruit.

August

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If Potentilla grows well in your area, their is a stunning variety that is pretty common, at least around my neck of the woods. "Mango Tango"6767_20.jpg

andrewiles

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not exactly orange, but the needles on Amber Glow dawn redwoods can head in the orange direction if grown in intense sun. Here's an example set of cuttings, from intense sun on the left to shade on the right:

AG.jpg

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Acer palmatum Hogyoku, known for orange fall color, maybe not best for bonsai

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Neat. I definitely would not have discovered that on my own, though I suspect I would encounter similar problems as with growing oranges. They’re only perennial to Zone 8, according to the interwebs.
Yup "indoor" bonsai time required. It sits in my study inwinter and comes out in spring looking scruffy.

dbonsaiw

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Osange-orange
Stewartia Monodelphia
Arbutus menziesii
Flame Willow (??)

Top Bottom