Orange County Study Group Meeting on Sunday, November 4th

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I checked in with Si Nguyen, and we are cleared to meet at his house in Lake Forest this Sunday, November 4, at 1:00 PM. Bring whatever you want to work on. Close to time for repotting and pine work, but we can talk about whatever.

If you don't have directions you can email me or Si. Si pronounces his name "see" as in "see the nice new koi pond he has..." and I plan to :)

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Hi BNut, nice of you to volunteer my house:cool: It is not much, but there is room for a few friends and trees. Bring whatever, the more difficult the better, or, practice on one of my trees. I could use some help with a big repotting too.
Si

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I've got a repot of a big California juniper that I was almost going to bring... but it needs a lot of deadwood reduction first. I may just bring a couple of shimpakus...

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What a pity! This Sunday I have to go to my in law's home!
Have a nice meeting!
Bonhe

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hey Tuan, we'll have to have another meeting soon. The summer has been so hot; my trees need work and I have a lot of potting to do! We'll miss you!

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Study group is in "new posts" again.....

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Tuan, we'll have to have another meeting soon. The summer has been so hot; my trees need work and I have a lot of potting to do! We'll miss you!
Hey BNut,
That's right. The summer was too hot here!
I just transplant the big Ca. juniper 2 days ago with the help of Hoyer lift!
Yaeh, arrange another meeting, I'll come over.
Bonhe

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
I'll be there.

Hi Frozenoak, welcome to our little study group. We don't take the study part nor the bonsai part very seriously though. Just a couple of nerdy guys hanging out and talking bonsai for a few hours. Bring some trees to work on, like anything that you're stuck at or anything worthless that you would not mind chopping down to nothing. Sometimes peer pressure, and beer pressure, is needed for bonsai chopping, and for bonsai shopping too. Maybe bring that tall and straight juniper with you. I might have a decent plan for you for that tree.
Let me know if you need direction to my house.
Si

Last edited:

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Study group is in "new posts" again.....

You're right Smoke. This thread is not supposed to show up for everybody. Maybe the recent server switch messed this up. Bnut will probably fix this soon. In the beginning, this was set up as a "private" topic for people in the study group only, but none of us really care if it is private or not. Bnut just thought the private function would save the general public from having to read our boring chit chats. By the way, other groups and clubs could probably use this forum and set up their own private discussion forum too, if they don't have their own website. Save them some money from having to maintain their own website.
Si

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Damn I had my plane ticket and everything. Did not know it was private. I guess I will unpack the tree I was going to check.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Is Ian coming? I will bring an extra Romney/Ryan shirt for him... :)

I don't really care if people read these posts. If it annoys people I can always take it out of the new posts area. We might post a few trees though that people might like to see or talk about... I don't care either way.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I don't really care if people read these posts. If it annoys people I can always take it out of the new posts area. We might post a few trees though that people might like to see or talk about... I don't care either way.

In light of recent postings here, any good tree posted in this forum would be a welcome sight.

I for one would love to see if you did anything with that double trunk Cal juni you got at the 2009 convention.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I for one would love to see if you did anything with that double trunk Cal juni you got at the 2009 convention.

Both sides are still alive. One is doing well and is due for work. The other side is much weaker and got a lot of die back, and I am trying to grow it back from one strong branch.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting, I was under the impression a few years back that you might try to seperate them.

Still one plant?

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score

:) He will need an extra large. He can't vote 'cuz he's an illegal alien, but he'd probably vote Obama if he could. Isn't that how it is here? Btw, he won't make it today. He hadn't returned my call yet.

Let's take some pics today and post them later.
Si

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Interesting, I was under the impression a few years back that you might try to seperate them.

Still one plant?

No, I separated them. Cut it down the middle, trying to maintain a balanced amount of rootage on both sides. One side is doing fine - the other is very weak but I am letting it grow free and it is getting stronger. I think it has been about three years(?)

Top Bottom