Orange County Study Group Meeting on Sunday, November 4th

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks Dale - I'll definitely be looking for one. I'm a big fan of deciduous trees but our options are somewhat limited down here.

[/EDIT] Does the beech have that white bark? I just looked at photos and though the leaves look similar, it doesn't appear to have it. Perhaps American White Birch? (Betula papyrifera)? The family Betulaceae (birches) includes Hazels and Hornbeams, and I know you can keep hazels and hornbeams down here (being careful to avoid direct hot afternoon sun). Maybe...

[/EDIT] Looking into it further, there are two species of birch that occur naturally in California, though neither is the tree in question. Betula glandulosa (dwarf birch) is really a shrub, with crenate leaves that look nothing like Si's tree. Betula occidentalis (water birch) is also known as Western Red Birch due to red bark... No true beeches occur in Southern California naturally (though that doesn't mean much...)

[/EDIT] There is also a Japanese White Birch (Betula platyphylla) that might fit the description. We need to hear back from Si about where he got the tree...

frozenoak

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The American Beech has silvery-gray bark that fissures with age and becomes more gray. I also thought it looked more like the American White Birch or the American Aspen but I think both of those trees would have a hard time living at our latitude...but I've been wrong before.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Hi guys, that tree is a European white birch ( Betula pendula). They do pretty well in Southern California. I will pot that tree up this winter.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Sorry for the late reply Brian. We didn't take many pictures. Maybe BNut can submit pics his trees. He worked a couple of real cool trees. I didn't do much. We just sat around and enjoyed some Oktoberfest beers.

Hey Dale, if the juniper recovered well, feel free to bring it over and we'll finish it. Anytime.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Tomorrow we are going to a koi auction. Gotta love Southern Cal!

We need to have another meeting soon - I have two more people who recently emailed me and want to come.

[EDIT] Someone asked for photos of needle junipers so I will post pics of the little needle juniper I had. I just need to get out and take pics. I will be interested to hear if any of the needle juniper cuttings actually take root....

frozenoak

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks for the help Si. The tree is still green but I don't think I've given it enough time to really know.

Bnut, The little needle junipers are also still green but I haven't tried to look for roots yet. I don't expect to get any for a while. I look forward to another round. I could help re-pot one of Si's trees this time, and maybe work on my root over rock project.

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks for the help Si. The tree is still green but I don't think I've given it enough time to really know.

Bnut, The little needle junipers are also still green but I haven't tried to look for roots yet. I don't expect to get any for a while. I look forward to another round. I could help re-pot one of Si's trees this time, and maybe work on my root over rock project.

For the juniper cuttings, you could use a black bag (to block out the light) , and then put the pot in a sunny spot for warmth to stimulate root growth. That's a poor man's green house. If it gets too cold at night, bring it inside.

Bonsai Nut

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I want to see your cutting setup Si - my cuttings are clearly taking WAY too long. I don't check for roots for about 6 months.

Top Bottom