Orchiata Media

FrankP999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Has anyone heard of a media called Orchiata? I received a sales email from an orchid supply store I buy from.

The sales info on it says:

"Orchiata is currently used by some of the top orchid growers around the world and now Pacific Wide (NZ) Ltd (the same New Zealand based company that produces our AAA Sphagnum Moss) and Calwest Tropical, Inc are making it available in the United States! It is made from 100% Pinus radiata and unlike other orchid media produced, Orchiata is an aged product rather than composted. Aging allows the particle to hold water and nutrients on the outside while retaining a hard structure in the center, therefore lasting for many years in the pot and reducing the need for re-potting as often! The addition of minerals for extra Calcium and Magnesium and the presence of beneficial micro-organisms encourage the plants to grow strong and healthy! "

Interesting if true about lasting many years. Any thoughts?

Frank

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Frank, Never heard of this product but by its description seems to against the basic principles of bonsai soil as we know it. First off we re-pot regularly about every 3 years more or less based on your tree species and age. So anything that goes longer than that is counter productive. Secondly ( and I'll brave fanning the soil war flames :D) a hard structure does not let roots colonize in it. That is, the root tips don't penetrate and grow through the particles, like composted bark, akadama, lava etc. The idea of bonsai soil is to allow maximum space for roots. Meaning between particles and through or in them. This while providing fast drainage. Something that this product doesn't appear to let happen.

The addition of Calcium and Magnesium and beneficial micro-organisms sound great but is something you give your tree anyway if you fertilize and use mycorrhiza. So based on the advertisement I'd say that you could probably pass on it.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
"Orchiata is currently used by some of the top orchid growers around the world and now Pacific Wide (NZ) Ltd (the same New Zealand based company that produces our AAA Sphagnum Moss) and Calwest Tropical, Inc are making it available in the United States! It is made from 100% Pinus radiata and unlike other orchid media produced, Orchiata is an aged product rather than composted. Aging allows the particle to hold water and nutrients on the outside while retaining a hard structure in the center, therefore lasting for many years in the pot

Frank
Thanks Frank for your post. Calwest Tropical Inc. is very closed to my home and I bought fir bark from them in the past with good result. Now, I would try to use Orchiata since it seems to have more good features than fir bark. I will also buy their fine wood charcoal to compare with Orchiata. For your information, I like to use inorganic: organic mix and its ratio is variable depending on the kind of plants. Bonhe
P/S: However, Orchiata is much more expensive than fir bark.

Last edited:

FrankP999

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the replies everyone. I also use an orchid fir as my organic component but it does break down quickly hence my interest in this new product. Tom makes some good points worth considering. Bonhe if you buy some let us know how it works.

Frank

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've used orchid bark in my soil mix for years. It's been pretty good. I'd use it--as long as the particle size is adequate. Most orchid bark--aside from the "seedling" grade--is far too coarse for bonsai use.

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for the replies everyone. I also use an orchid fir as my organic component but it does break down quickly hence my interest in this new product. Tom makes some good points worth considering. Bonhe if you buy some let us know how it works.

Frank
I will, Frank. Bonhe

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
So,this Orchiata has been around awhile.Prospecting soil ingredients today,I went ahead and bought a 14 liter bag of this.Mainly for the reviews of consistent size and the fact they treat it with lime....which seems cool.
I bought the extra small about a 1/4” product.Looks good.
https://besgrow.com/products/orchiata/

https://besgrow.com/applications/bonsai/
343CE991-492D-47EF-BFF0-5DB616DF12A0.jpeg

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Well my Orchiata arrived today.Very pleased.
I actually bought a 40 liter bag.Not terribly pricy,just the 30. Shipping was a bummer.Still not bad though $65 for a 40litre bag.will last me at least two years since it is an addition to other bonsai soil ingredients.
The ‘precision’ size is about 1/8-1/4”,but realistically ,given the shape of the bark pieces, it is generally 1/4”.which I like better for my eight inch bulb pans for growing out trees.Or at least smaller potted bonsai.I will see how it mixes with the1/4” aggregate soil that is arriving Monday.
I may need to get the 3/8”.
Definitely looks quality and is supposedly harder.Renewable too,the Pinus Radiata mature very quickly.
62122E13-930E-41F3-A104-D803C40E6D59.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom